Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

adding "Programming" section

Status
Not open for further replies.

misterT

Most Helpful Member
hi T,
Click on the Theory and Circuits options on the top Menu bar.

Members have posted lots of useful info, along the lines you are suggesting.

Eric

Yes, I looked at those after I posted my idea. I actually like the "Circuits" section. Nicely divided into topics, or chapters. Could it be possible to add "Programming" section if there was an outline of the content and a plan how to manage it? And would it be possible to add rights to modify the articles to multiple (trusted) members? .. Maybe this should be discussed in the site issues and feedback forum.

But what goes in the "Programming" section? Are there to be a multitude of untested code snippets and functions for some obscure purposes? Many small embedded applications do not use much reusable code (I'm not referring to macros) and code that interacts with the hardware must often change between processor types (or even revisions of the same processor).

The proposed section would be for embedded / microcontroller programming, as there are already very active, professional and high quality forums for the many non-microcontroller programming languages and platforms, e.g. daniweb, stack overflow, android & ios developer forums, etc.

Code Repository is probably the best place to start with. I don't know how I forgot that place. Maybe if the content there grows etc. We can start thinking about creating articles from the content there.

Dougy: I use a lot of reusable code like "ring buffer" to store data from uart and sensors. Then there could be things like "how to parse data from formatted string".. Many applications communicate through uart with packets like: $[ID][DATA][CRC]#. And many beginners struggle to handle that kind of communication. There are lots of things that are "general purpose" and "controller-family independent".

The benefit of writing a ring buffer between uart and your actual application is separating microcontroller specific code and application code. It is then easy to change microcontroller family, when all you have to rewrite is the UART specific code. Buffer and application code can be pretty much untouched.

The proposed section would be for embedded / microcontroller programming, as there are already very active, professional and high quality forums for the many non-microcontroller programming languages and platforms, e.g. daniweb, stack overflow, android & ios developer forums, etc.

Non-microcontroller programming tutorials/forums/sites are quite useless for microcontroller programmers.

Maybe I should start posting to the code repository and see what people think.. are they useful or not.

Last edited:
Dougy: I use a lot of reusable code like "ring buffer" to store data from uart and sensors. Then there could be things like "how to parse data from formatted string".. Many applications communicate through uart with packets like: $[ID][DATA][CRC]#. And many beginners struggle to handle that kind of communication. There are lots of things that are "general purpose" and "controller-family independent".
I likewise have a set of macros for queues. If you include non-microcontroller-specific snippets, then I guess it sounds good.
Non-microcontroller programming tutorials/forums/sites are quite useless for microcontroller programmers.
I'm well aware of that, which is why my statement was how it was.

I'm well aware of that, which is why my statement was how it was.

Oh sorry. I took it the wrong way. My bad :)

If you include non-microcontroller-specific snippets, then I guess it sounds good.

The code snippets would be non-hardware specific as possible. But simple and efficient.. without library calls.. "designed" for microcontrollers in general.

Last edited:
Oh sorry. I took it the wrong way. My bad :)

The code snippets would be non-hardware specific as possible. But simple and efficient.. without library calls.. "designed" for microcontrollers in general.

Maybe, you could consider a beginner, beginner section and really makes it simple like starting from printf and scanf and the like, while teaching them how to use their debugger. maybe focusing on the code is good but, they also need to know how the computer stores data and uses it. Such as Memory, allocation and addressing etc. Each with it's own code, improper code will result in an action on the part of the debugger and how to read it.

I don't know, I'm just a beginner trying to learn something so foreign to me that is sounds silly and stupid. You guy's know how to turn the light on in someones brain, I'm just trying to say that most who attempt such a thing find it daunting. learning those kind of basics and putting in a central location I think is important or adding URL's to content driven (Subjects off ETO Site) and then back again to the Tutorial, form front end to back end. Making it so, silly stupid that anyone can get it.

Saves you time later, that's all I'm saying once they learn all the important (Linguistics of programming) the better. After that if they still don't get it, well you put in the ground work. If you think they are just forgetting something then you have a canned response for them and just send them a URL back to the beginners section that covers it. ( Don't answer anything unless they can speak the language.)

Then you know they are doing their part, e.g. trying to actually learn.

Last edited:
Ok, I just kicked into business mode. (At the heart of the matter is using members time for endless questions, without some support to the site.)

I suggested since I became a member, that ETO could use some Financial Support from people like me who are not able to contribute experience and knowledge. I'm here to learn, I already have a job but, I want to gain knowledge for what ever my reasons are etc.

EM, said he wanted to color members or Forum Supporters. I think if you support the site Financially as well as intellectually, you should have your own color. Kind of like like belt colors in Martial Arts.

If you have given correct information in your post and or assisted another member with helping someone we could give +# count to an individual as we already do.

However, if I'm just a beginner learner and want to receive the benefit of personal instruction, I should have a financial contribution for that benefit and have a specific color. I shouldn't just run on questions over and over again without providing some site support. Also, I should be given an area that I can get that instruction it should be of limits to the General Public, they can't see it without becoming a learning support member.

If it's a one off project, the content would be a finished project and added to the finished section of a members support in that specific projects area, for all to read or interpret

I believe this is also a sore spot for some members who don't like people who get reputation
and somehow confused for their experience and knowledge provided to the site.

Free is ok, but you don't want people to just take advantage and or use valuable time the members provide. Forum support is still a donation in blue, but if I'm a beginner learner and wanting to have some personal instruction, I should pay accordingly. This would allow me into an area of the forum that is more than suggestive and is more hands on.

That will never eliminate that fact for those who can get it easy and can learn on their own, the ability have access to the material currently published. It was free then and free now.

Filter what I'm saying and pull out, any benefits to what I'm saying.

The money coming from the site won't go directly into the hands of any one individual, it should go toward their personal interest and help to develop that forum area they desire to support.

I'm getting clogged up and sounding like a run on sentence.

Edit: I forgot some folks who contribute to the site information and assistance they should have their own recognized names and colors as well, they may opt out of forum support and still be recognized as an Intellectual Contributor.

Last edited:
I posted more of an "for absolute beginners" article in code repository. That is the most beginner stuff that I would write. Next one will be an example of more advanced stuff. Consider that one "an unpolished example". I will edit it as needed.. according to feedback.

Give me feedback. I am not a writer and english is a second language. But, try find that kind of information with google. Tell me if there was something that you learned.

I posted more of an "for absolute beginners" article in code repository. That is the most beginner stuff that I would write. Next one will be an example of more advanced stuff. Consider that one "an unpolished example". I will edit it as needed.. according to feedback.

Give me feedback. I am not a writer and english is a second language. But, try find that kind of information with google. Tell me if there was something that you learned.

I'm wondering if it should be a Sticky that only you can edit. That way it won't get cluttered up with comments from people and you don't have to read endless post just to get to the heart of something. I think the comments should happen here and you could answer any important updates as needed in the code repository.

Edit: Seems pretty fundamental and intelligible. Although I have a little more knowledge than most beginner, beginner, knows nothing type.

I'm wondering if it should be a Sticky that only you can edit. That way it won't get cluttered up with comments from people and you don't have to read endless post just to get to the heart of something. I think the comments should happen here and you could answer any important updates as needed in the code repository.

I would be editing only the first post I think.. So it would stay top of the thread. What if somebody wants to point something important out. Lets see if commenting is a problem and, if it is, then do something about it.

I would be editing only the first post I think.. So it would stay top of the thread. What if somebody want to point something important out. Lets see if commenting is a problem and, if it is, do something about it.

If it's a Sticky just put a link to this URL and let them comment here and if you think it's important let them know you will update it soon, when you can in the Sticky.

After helping people for a while I figured that if I wrote tutorials it would help people and I would not have to answer the same old question.

Problem is that many maybe most people who come for help are not interested in a tutorial no matter how well written. Heard a lot of excuses like "I can't learn form a book"

Just Saying .... sigh

After helping people for a while I figured that if I wrote tutorials it would help people and I would not have to answer the same old question.

Problem is that many maybe most people who come for help are not interested in a tutorial no matter how well written. Heard a lot of excuses like "I can't learn form a book"

Just Saying .... sigh

It's all about how it's presented and how well defined in terms of location. Like Mr,T was saying adding a programmers section and then break each "Sticky" into specific areas of knowledge. Adding or using the idea someone pointed out was URL's off site, within the section, once covered they come back to Tutorial or Sticky.

Separating the Sticky or Tutorial from "Posts" keeps them from being corrupted by a thousand posted questions. Those should be directed to an "Off" location specific to that Sticky or Tutorial, I shouldn't have to read through every Post to get what I need out of it. If I did "more" we could direct them to most asked questions about that subject or content.

If they can't seek to benefit from the Sticky or Tutorial, which I believe is the best way to get them to learn, then it's not your fault. Like I said, canned responses that lead them to the URL or Sticky to drink.

If they are still thick headed. Hopefully someone can help them such as me (If I ever learn anything to impart) or Ian, Mr,T- anyone who believes that they may see there short fall and maybe (better to explain it to them.)

It shouldn't just fall on your shoulders, once it's beyond your patients or you ran out of helpful ideas, they either sink or swim.

Edit: Your Tutorials are a really good source:)

Last edited:
3v0, Looks really good. I think I could follow that, but then I've been on the site how long? I should be able to follow that, you would think.

I want to do these sometime... right now I have to focus on C, C++ it's required to get my certification in Crestron Programming. I've been doing some Mac Tutorials but, I will be setting up a PC Platform and will begin some PC driven Compiler Programs. One of my Techs is in Computer Science and he can get me a good one for free.

I wrote another post in the code repository. This one is at the most advanced (almost) end of what I would do. It needs images to fully explain what is going on. Shorter introduction to finite state machines etc. would also be necessary. You really need to concentrate if you want to follow the text. Give me feedback.

I put a lot of work into this tutorial. I had planned to do an entire series with that level of detail. Seems most people just want 1 on 1 help.

Hi,

Yes that's a nice tut. What grabbed me was the nice 3d graphics. Did you use some sort of 3d drawing program to create those diagrams?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back