Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

About Serial/Ethernet Converters

Status
Not open for further replies.

mamech

Hello Everyone

I want to make a project, in which I want to connect a pc with a distant micro (around 200m-300m), so I want to send data form pc as ethernet then converting it again to serial to be readable by micro.

My question now is the following: Is using such converter help by distance problem?
I imagine the system to be as follows: the PC sends data in ethernet form- data flows into cable till the first 100m- the repeater or the bridge repeats signal- another 100 m- the repeater or the bridge repeats signal again- to eathernet/serial converter - to micro

Is this alright? or nonsense?

Thanks for replying

But I am not asking about the tool or device that I should use, I am asking about the configuration that I have mentioned, Is it right?

I'm not sure what your concern is here. If you are worried about the delays caused by the infrastructure between the 2 ends, then you will probably have problems with whatever arrangement you have in place to connect the 2 end points. 200-300 metres is not that far really (especially when you can get connectivity around the world!)

If you are worried about the number of items needed between the 2 end points, then this really has nothing to do with the information being serial or not. Ethernet connections do have a limited (distance) span but it would help if you could tap into existing infrastructure for this.

Of course, this assumes that you have existing infrastructure in place but your requirement to use Ethernet implies that this choice has already been made. If not, then could there be some other medium, and some other protocol, that could be used instead?

Susan

I will explain more about the purpose of my question

I want to make a monitoring system in an automotive assembly factory, so I have to connect the in-field microcontroller(which collects the signals from switches located on the production line) with a distant (may be 200 or 300 meters in my opinion) computer (which runs java application to show the status of each stage on the line)
I have chosen Ethernet because I know that I can use it up to 100m (may be 85-90m practically) and I can use bridges or switches to repeat the signal so I can get another 100 m and so on. then by using Ethernet/serial converter I can make the data interpreted from Eathernet to serial and vice versa

I have no worries about the delay, because even if exists , the change rate of data is too slow. My main concern is to make the data signal overcome the distance and to make cost of devices minimum.

There is no existing infrastructure, everything in planning stage and no obligations exist. My knowledge about communication protocols and which of them is better, is limited . Any Suggestions??????????????

Devices to covert rs232 async serial to ethernet used to be sold as "terminal servers". You may be able to find one cheap, if they havn't all been thrown away. If you want to design your own, use a microcontroler with built in ethernet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back