Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A laptop (battery) query..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nigel Goodwin said:
No, it means it's a pretty meaningless question!.
don't think so..

well ...My new LT looses around 10-15% battery charge(as per the batt: monitor) in a day . [condition before storage - full charge , kept for one day hibernated] . and i don't think it is showing correct behavior.

Last edited:
akg said:
don't think so..

well ...My new LT looses around 10-15% battery charge(as per the batt: monitor) in a day . [condition before storage - full charge , kept for one day hibernated] . and i don't think it is showing correct behavior.

That's why they have on/off switches!.

You shouldn't loose and charge (apart from leakage) if your laptop is hibernating properly. The hard disk, display, processor and memory should all be turned of the their sates saved in a temporary file on the disk.

The only things that should use any power when in hibernation are the most basic motherboard functions - basically, little more than supplying enough power for the PC to monitor the power button so you can turn it on - though there could possibly be other small things such as wake-on-LAN that remain on during hibernation, though it doesn't seem very likely, but you could check those in your BIOS. In short, when a computer is in hibernation, it should be just the same as if you did a normal shutdown instead of hibernation.

I'd say the first thing to try would be to charge the battery and then take it out of the laptop and leave completely disconnected for a day, and see if it loses any of its charge - in which case your battery is just in bad shape.

Hibernation doesn't use any power, it does a memory and CPU state dump to the hard drive and powers the machine off. There shouldn't be any battery loss aside from self discharge which would be high at 1%

What happens on following days? The first 10% capacity loss could just be from the battery's age, it wouldn't show after a fresh charge because the batteries surface charge would hide it untill it's had time to sit for a while and evenly distribute all the charge. If you lose 10% a day 4 or 5 days in a row something is going on though. Granted in order to test this you're not going to be able to use your laptop for 5 days in a row excepting for a quick bios only power on for a capacity check.

evandude said:
The only things that should use any power when in hibernation are the most basic motherboard functions - basically, little more than supplying enough power for the PC to monitor the power button so you can turn it on - though there could possibly be other small things such as wake-on-LAN that remain on during hibernation, though it doesn't seem very likely, but you could check those in your BIOS. In short, when a computer is in hibernation, it should be just the same as if you did a normal shutdown instead of hibernation.
that is what i thought , i have already checked the peripherals and found that the wake on lan is disabled . in short the computer is(should be) fully off.
i could not find any reason for this (massive) loss of charge. hence the query..

I'd say the first thing to try would be to charge the battery and then take it out of the laptop and leave completely disconnected for a day, and see if it loses any of its charge - in which case your battery is just in bad shape.
That is the next thing to do.. i just thought to have some advice..

Sceadwian said:
Hibernation doesn't use any power, it does a memory and CPU state dump to the hard drive and powers the machine off. There shouldn't be any battery loss aside from self discharge which would be high at 1%
that's what i expected. and this is a brand new .

What happens on following days? The first 10% capacity loss could just be from the battery's age, it wouldn't show after a fresh charge because the batteries surface charge would hide it untill it's had time to sit for a while and evenly distribute all the charge. If you lose 10% a day 4 or 5 days in a row something is going on though. Granted in order to test this you're not going to be able to use your laptop for 5 days in a row excepting for a quick bios only power on for a capacity check.
leaving it off w/o re-charge , does reduce the battery charge, but it in an exponential way. ie the self discharging rate goes down as the battery charge goes down . Now, when checked , it has discharged only 3% (in a day) (and charge remaining is 7%)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back