Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A good multiprocessing project?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, everyone. I'm learning AVR 8-bit microcontrollers. I'm at a point where I can build reasonably complex circuits that include an AVR, program the AVR in C and attach a battery and watch it go.

I'm not yet at a point where I can drive graphical displays. Also, I don't want to get into the complexities of flying machines, 3D printers, etc. Let's keep it simple while I'm still learning.

I want to come up with a project that involves several AVR 8 chips on the same circuit board, working together to solve a common problem. The chips will communicate to farm out the work and split it among themselves. I just need to think of the right project.

Any ideas?

Richard

This is a tough one. I think a lot of beginners get this idea at first. I know I thought about it at one time. Unfortunately most projects that don't have a user interface are usually I/O limited rather than processing power limited, so usually it's easier to get a chip with more pins or some type of io expander rather than add a second chip.

You can try some type of module system, like a small LED board with a dedicated processor. Give it plugs so you can connect multiple LED boards together for a larger LED board and have them coordinate.

A remote temperature data logger or weather station, a remote 8 pin chip that measures the temp sensors or whatever and does an a to d conversion then transmits the measurements to a another chip that displays the results on an lcd.
With a couple of tricks you can do this over a 2 core cable data and power.

Last edited:
Put two AVRs on the same PCB. The other one does whatever the main purpose of the project is and the other microcontroller monitors the health of the system and sends data to a "service person" and the main controller. The monitor controller could also be used to update the firmware in the main microcontroller and do other "housekeeping" tasks.

Last edited:
The ONLY two microcontroller project I've ever done was not needed for processing power, but for redundant control (2 heads are better than 1) for a railroad switch position detection and/or bridge in place detection. Both processors read 4 proximity transmitters and decided which position to display. They then conferred via the SPI port, and if in agreement, toggled the input to a switching power supply controller to turn the proper output on. This was a vital function, one that could not give a false positive, so if either processor hung up or quit working, there was no output.

The processors gave error indications for open or shorted proximity inputs, and once a second even had hardware to open and short the inputs to make sure they could detect those conditions.

A technique also seen in industry, called diversity.
Pilz do a range of control relays for various functions using a similar technology.
To be true diverse the processors have to be totally different and the sortware written by 2 different people.

A remote temperature data logger or weather station, a remote 8 pin chip that measures the temp sensors or whatever and does an a to d conversion then transmits the measurements to a another chip that displays the results on an lcd.
With a couple of tricks you can do this over a 2 core cable data and power.

you just described my "Hooters" temperature boards... my actual customer's customer was Budweiser, but they installed them in Hooters to measure the tap beer temperature (with large drunk readable displays), 'cept that I used an RF link.

View attachment 68648

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back