Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

9+ input decoder

Status
Not open for further replies.

shifter47

Hi there,

I currently have an 8-3 priority encoder, the 74 148, in my circuit. However I think I need 9 inputs.

I have 8 buttons on each of the 8 inputs and I want the circuit to do nothing when none of the buttons are pressed. Unfortunately the 'idle' position, when no buttons are pressed, gives me 1,1,1 on my 3 outputs. The same as if the lowest priority button is pressed. So I think I need an extra input that can give me a 9th combination, that I can assign to do nothing in my code.

So the first question is, what are my options for a larger encoder? Is there an alternative to the 74 148 that simply has more ins/outs?

Or, if you can de-cypher my confused ramblings, am I doing something wrong with the execution my current encoder?

Thanks!

You can use a 74147 which is a 10-4 BCD encoder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back