Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

8051 Video

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, How is it possible to use something like 89S52 to make a PAL video or VGA ? i know vga isnt possible cuz it needs more than 24Mhz .. also can i use only C for doing it ?

not going to happen, even spectacularly powerful processors use dedicated hardware to generate video signals.

Dan

do you want video or a simple test pattern? Even a simple test pattern requires a lot more than simply software.

Dan

One of the sites I've checked out used a PIC 16F84 to output video. But I don't think it'll be *very* easy though.

In the meantime there's other chips which can provide CRT output. :)

“I wonder , but i saw someone made NTSC/PAL using PIC16F84 ! and another one made VGA using 16F84... how ?”
There are many articles describing what you are looking for. It generally takes all the CPU time to draw video. A pong game has very low resolution so a slower computer can be used. During ‘blanking’ time the CPU is free to do some thinking.
As to the old 8051, there are 100mip 8051s available. They run circles around a 5mip 16F84.

You can run Pong perfectly well on a lowly PIC 16F84, so it doesn't have any massive power requirements. I built a Pong game years ago using one - just as good as the original arcade games.

I get to be wrong once in a while and I stand corrected.

But .... if I were to build a video project I would like some headroom.

3v0

I get to be wrong once in a while and I stand corrected.

But .... if I were to build a video project I would like some headroom.

In which case consult books like the 'Cheap Video Cookbook', which use a few cheap TTL chips to generate video using a micro.

But really it depends how much processor time you can afford to waste, as opposed to how much extra silicon you can afford to use.

You've obviously seen Pong, the requirements aren't very demanding :D
Yep! Poor pong, the atari 2600 killed her! Video table tennis at pizza places ;)

I date myself, oh well.

With out the details it sounded like he wanted to do animation or something and that was simply not going to happen. So many do not realize what goes into even putting up a static image!

Dan

EDIT: by static image I was thinking of a photo frame

Last edited:
The video cookbook used a KIM1 connected to some shift registers and graphic EPROM 2716 and level circuitry. It was also memory mapped, interrupt driven and could also work with the Z80

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back