Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

5x20 / 5x16 LCD

Status
Not open for further replies.

raus

I need help: I can't find any LCD display with 5 lines; I mean, a 5x20 or 5x16 LCD. The nearest I find is 4 lines...

If there are not this kind of LCD, I'd consider using a graphic LCD, but I don't know how do they work :(

Thx 4 ur help :)

raus said:
I need help: I can't find any LCD display with 5 lines; I mean, a 5x20 or 5x16 LCD. The nearest I find is 4 lines...

If there are not this kind of LCD, I'd consider using a graphic LCD, but I don't know how do they work :(

As far as I know they don't make 5 line ones?, graphic ones are far more complicated to use, and require a lot more I/O lines - and might not do what you want anyway?.

i need 5 lines, so i'd have to fight with graphic lcd's, I/O lines not being a problem.

I need something to be like this:

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

what do u think?

raus said:
what do u think?

I think you need to be prepared for a lot of work and a lot of expense!.

Graphic LCD's are much more expensive than text ones, and it looks like you want a really big one! - assuming you can find one like that?.

Hi,

I've been working a lot with LCD's recently...and I caught the bug. Buying up any rare ones I can find, and I must say, I've never seen a 5 line character LCD.

Unless you can find some of the smaller board 4x20 LCD' and add on a 2x20 at the bottom, I'm afraid the only solution I can see is to go graphic.

Using 2 seperate character LCD's shouldn't be hard though. You can get smaller ones (same text size) where the display area is only a fraction smaller than the actual screen area...meaning you would have a very small gap between lines 4 and 5 (5 being hte first line of the second LCD).

As for 'graphic' LCD's, all is not lost. Assuming you simply want to display 'text' or 'symbols' just like a character LCD, some graphic LCD's have a controller that has built in character ram (not the KS0108 though). This means, you can display 'text' without having to provide a 'bitmap' for every character, simply telling the display which part of the character ram to use. For a minimum of 5x16....using that the standard character dimensions are 5x8, actually its 6x8 for a 'gap' between characters on most graphic LCD's....that gives you a minimum of 16*6 = 96 by 5*8 = 48. A standard 128x64 would do nicely....and they're not all that expensive, check ebay :D

These usually have either a KS0108 controller, or a T6963C. The first has no character ram, so you would need ot make you're own external 'controller' form a microcontroller (I've done it, but it wasn't easy). The TC6963 is alot easier to work with, and is used on many 128x64 LCD's. There are some other display sizes, like 192x64, 240x64....128x128 etc..but 128x64 is pretty common. Note: the text isn't always as big as on character LCD's, check the pixel size, usually 0.5mm x 0.5mm for most.

As for 'colour', the one in your PIC appears to be negative, with a green-yellow backlight. Crystalfontz.com has these, never used um, but I've heard great reviews, plus they are cheap. Of course, other colours are available. You could even try getting an OLED display.

I hope this helps, sorry for such a long reply.

Blueteeth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back