Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

41 OHM 2 Watt Resistor

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitaloutlaw

Hey all I am in need of some help. I have a Resistor that i need a replacement for. According to the Resistor value chart i have it is a 41 ohm 5% tolerance (Yellow - Brown - Black - GOLD). I can not find one. One thing i am not sure about is the wattage i think it is 2 watts as it is the same measurements as some 2 watt resistors i have. If anyone knows where i can find some or how i could get this value please help.

41R is not a standard 5% value.

Normally 5% tolerance resistors are only made in E24 values i.e. decade multiples of: 10, 11, 12, 13 , 15, 16, 18, 20, 22, 24, 27, 30, 33, 36, 39, 43, 47, 51, 56, 62, 68, 75, 82, 91. This is why you often see values such as 2k2 or 68k and almost never 90R or 52R.

Of course there are exceptions, for example 50R is used for RF loads and you might be able to buy 8R and 4R as audio dummy loads but 41R is a non-standard value without any common use so it's unlikely you'll find it.

Check the value again.

Get someone else you read it. You might have a very mild form of colour blindness and not even be aware of it..

Is the resistor discoloured? Does it look burnt?

The value is 5% tolerance which means it can range from 38.95Ω to 43.05Ω so if you're certain it's 41R, just replace it with the nearest E24 value, 43R or 39R and it should be fine.

its is burnt and discoloured

well after talking to the company that makes this part i have found that the value of each resistor is on the board underneath it which i wouldve seen if i had unsoldered the resistor.

8.2 ohms

now here is the part i dont understand when i test the burnt resistor it test aat 8.2 +/- ohms however the color code calculators colors in no way are close to the colors on the resistor (Gray - Red - Gold - GOLD)

Last edited:
Yes, grey, red, gold, gold is the correct colour code for 82R.

The colours often change when the resistor is overheated, although I wouldn't normally expect grey to change to yellow, stranger things have happened.

Attachments

• Resistor chart..PNG
    Resistor chart..PNG
    24.6 KB · Views: 1,359
Yes, grey, red, gold, gold is the correct colour code for 82R.

The colours often change when the resistor is overheated, although I wouldn't normally expect grey to change to yellow, stranger things have happened.

I think you mean 8.2 ohms.... :p

well the yellow could be a dirty white or gray i just wouldnt think gold would turn to black.

now the next part of the problem is if the burnt resistor is reading the right ohms then it should still be good (i would think). What i am wondering is when i put a new resistor on it is another problem going to heat it back up?

The circuit board is an ONAN Generator Control Board and the Resistor that is burnt leads back to the Gen. on one side and to a diode on the other then it goes to a relay and then back to the Generator (I do not have then Generator to look at so i dont know whats on its circuits). So what if anything could be checked to see if it is working with out having the unit plugged in?

ok so if diode could be faulty how could i test this with my multimeter it has the diode test function however i have no idea what value should be read from a good diode. Would i have to read a datasheet on this exact Diode and if so what form of value should i look for?

Please post a picture.

Yes, it could be the diode, I'd suggest you look for damaged semiconductors as they're normally the first thing to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back