Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

1n4004

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabihshad

I want to replace a diode I am using on 24V to provide power to other devices with an LED so that I know if my diode fails (I am using two power supplies). It carries upto 1 ampere of current and I cant seem to find an LED with a high enough Peak Inverse Voltage (more than 50V).

Any help with a good replacement for a 1N4004 diode?

I want to replace a diode I am using on 24V to provide power to other devices with an LED so that I know if my diode fails (I am using two power supplies). It carries upto 1 ampere of current and I cant seem to find an LED with a high enough Peak Inverse Voltage (more than 50V).

hi,
The 1N5404 is a higher current version of the 1N4004

Have you considered putting a power diode in reverse parallel with the LED you want to protect from high PIV.?:)

Last edited:
My 1N4004 has a good enough power rating, I just wanted to replace it with an LED for having an indication that it was still working.

Putting a power diode in reverse parallel would be a power drain on my system.

What I'm trying to do is find an LED which would be as good as the 1N4004 diode

My 1N4004 has a good enough power rating, I just wanted to replace it with an LED for having an indication that it was still working.

Putting a power diode in reverse parallel would be a power drain on my system.

What I'm trying to do is find an LED which would be as good as the 1N4004 diode

Why dont you put a 1N4004 in series with the LED, which has the reverse parallel 1N4004 across it.? Ref the gif.

You did ask for a good 1N4004 replacement....:)

Attachments

• Image1.gif
    Image1.gif
    2.3 KB · Views: 365
Last edited:
Or get rid of all those diodes and use a bipolar LED.
**broken link removed**

Or get rid of all those diodes and use a bipolar LED.
**broken link removed**

hi hero,
The application the OP describes is unusual.

IIUC he wants to detect if a 1N4004 fails by using the high current LED in series with the 1N4004.

IF the 1N4004 fails he is concerned about the high reverse voltage that could appear across the reversed biassed LED.???

Last edited:
Wire the LED with another 1N400x and 2.2k/.5w series resistor across the diode in the circuit. The LED will not light, until the original 1N4004 diode fails (open), after which, the current needed for the LED will pass thru it. The only adjustment to this circuit will be to lower the value of the series resistor to increase the brightness of the LED should the circuit load not be large.

It will not detect a shorted diode, only those that open.

Hope this helps.

Jim

How about this circuit?

Attachments

• Fuse Monitor.GIF
    Fuse Monitor.GIF
    10.1 KB · Views: 395
The fuse monitor comes pretty close to what I am looking for. It indicates the opening of a diode without introducing a series element (series elements decrease reliability).

One problem with that is, my supply is already redundant, and it is that redundancy I want to make use of. In case one of the diodes fail, the load will remain getting power from the second diode coming from a different power supply. Consequently, the LED wouldn't light till both of the diodes fail open.

What I want is to know when one of the diode fails so that I can replace it before the other one fails and unpowers the load.

Failures of properly rated diodes are extremely rare. In my opinion monitoring a diode for failure is pointless. The monitoring circuit will have a much greater likelihood of failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back