Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

1N4148 Replaceable with 1N4004?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krumlink

I had a question if the 1N4004 can replace the 1N4148, because my EE friend gave me 3 huge boxes filled with everything. one of the things was 500 1N4004's, and I dont want to buy any others, but use those. Are they compatable? They will be used for reversed battery protection and H Bridge Diodes.

Basically if they are for the uses that you state yes. For reverse battery connection the 1N4148 is not suitable.

Good, Because I hope to never have to buy Diodes again :)

So pretty much the 1N4004 is better for my applications?

A 1N4004 has a 400V rating and a 1A continuous current rating. It is pretty slow.

A 1N4148 has a 75V rating and a 300mA continuous current rating. It is pretty fast.

They are different animals.

Cool, Because I was going to use the 1N4004 for some Good motors.

Krumlink said:
I had a question if the 1N4004 can replace the 1N4148, because my EE friend gave me 3 huge boxes filled with everything. one of the things was 500 1N4004's, and I dont want to buy any others, but use those. Are they compatable? They will be used for reversed battery protection and H Bridge Diodes.

Handy gift, 500 IN4004s. ;)

The 1N4004 is designed as a rectifier diode with a 400volt 1 amp rating.
The 1N4148 is a high speed signal diode rated at 100volt 200ma.

So for most applications you could use the 4004 over a 4148 but there are circuits that might utilize the higher speed, lower junction capactance of the 4148 that would not operate or as well as with the 4148.

The best advice is to keep a computer folder and fill it with data sheets of devices (that can be found on the web) you have so that you can review their specs when selecting components.

Good luck
Lefty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back