Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

16 Segment LED project help required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Identity_Crisis

I am trying to make a custom automotive component.

Instead of having the usual P,R,N,D,3,2,1 on my cars shifter console I want to have a RED LED 16 segment illuminate the shifters position.

I have worked with some electronics in the past but I am unsure how to set this up.

ON the mechanical side I will have to set up a 12V activation switching from the shifter to the electronics. This wont be that hard.

Can anyone tell me how to and what to use to wire up a single 15 Segment LED?

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge.
Shawn

I am trying to make a custom automotive component.

Instead of having the usual P,R,N,D,3,2,1 on my cars shifter console I want to have a RED LED 16 segment illuminate the shifters position.

I have worked with some electronics in the past but I am unsure how to set this up.

ON the mechanical side I will have to set up a 12V activation switching from the shifter to the electronics. This wont be that hard.

Can anyone tell me how to and what to use to wire up a single 15 Segment LED?

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge.
Shawn

hi and welcome,
You could use a 16LED driver IC, see image and/or a PIC [mcu] and two 8 bit shift registers.

Attachments

• maxim.pdf
    391.3 KB · Views: 292
  • TPIC6595.pdf
    0 bytes · Views: 0
since you have only one switch activated at a time, you can simply wire the power via diodes. example to display "3" you need 5 diodes from particular position switch to the segment to be displayed. to display "1" you need 2 diodes & so on.

A simple solution is the "diode ROM" mentioned by mbarazeen. All you need is the display and a handful of resistors and diodes.

Which type of display do you intend to use, common anode or common cathode?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back