Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

12v Relay Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbarnaby2000

I have a StingPro RL-5x 12v coil relay. From what I have found it has 20 amp contacts. Now this is an automotive relay and it does look like the contacts are rated upto 14v. What I was wondering is if I could switch AC with it and how much current this little guy can take before exceeding its rating.

I have found a link to one on the All Electronics site...
12V SPDT 30 AMP AUTOMOTIVE RELAY | AllElectronics.com

Anyone have any ideas if its current rating can be converted to an AC current rating?

Not a good idea. The 12 V relay has contacts rated at 12V20Amps DC.

To switch AC at mains potential there is not enough clearance when the contacts are open.

Generally it is harder to break DC current, so 12 V dc rated contacts will break 24 V ac allright at 20 Amps.

Bear in mind that the peak value of 230V mains is 325 Volts !!

Other matter is that the relay is not insulated to the mains voltage level, and a possible flashover might occur between your 12V control circuit and the 110 or 230 V mains.
There are plenty of cheap 12 or 24 Volt control relays about which can safely switch 230 V at 8 Amps or higher.

Not a good idea. The 12 V relay has contacts rated at 12V20Amps DC.

To switch AC at mains potential there is not enough clearance when the contacts are open.

Generally it is harder to break DC current, so 12 V dc rated contacts will break 24 V ac allright at 20 Amps.

Bear in mind that the peak value of 230V mains is 325 Volts !!

Other matter is that the relay is not insulated to the mains voltage level, and a possible flashover might occur between your 12V control circuit and the 110 or 230 V mains.
There are plenty of cheap 12 or 24 Volt control relays about which can safely switch 230 V at 8 Amps or higher.

Cool that was the info that I was looking for...thx again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back