Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

120 vac Motion Detector Light Wanted?

gary350

I am using a 120 vac motion detector light to turn on my 120 volt AC 8900 Lumen LED light. Motion detector has stopped working so LED light stays on all night and keeps the bedroom lite up with both curtains closed.

No one sells 120 volt motion detector lights anymore. Lowe's, Walmart, Home Depot, only have solar LED lights and none are 120 volts AC.

What type motion detector can I buy to turn on a 8900 Lumen LED light?

The LED light comes with an LDR that turns the light off when sun comes up but I want the light to stay off until motion makes it come on. The advantage to this is light wakes us up then we look at the security cameras to see what is there. We have had several night visitors at 2am that leave very quick when light comes on.

100_7881.JPG
100_7884.JPG
100_7885.JPG

They are still freely available in the UK, here's one example:

Look harder, and try proper DIY stores.

Here's another on Amazon, one of many they list:

Just search "PIR Switch" on ebay, there are masses of them.
eg.

Just replace the PIR module on your existing light, or use one with whatever light you prefer.

(A lot show them controlling LED lights, but they are just AC in, AC out).

Just search "PIR Switch" on ebay, there are masses of them.
eg.

Just replace the PIR module on your existing light, or use one with whatever light you prefer.

(A lot show them controlling LED lights, but they are just AC in, AC out).

I bought a PIR from TX it will probably be here in 3 days.

I have like four in my junk box, and always see them at used thrifty stores. You are looking at the wrong places. Have you been at an electrical 'contractor' supply store ?

I have like four in my junk box, and always see them at used thrifty stores. You are looking at the wrong places. Have you been at an electrical 'contractor' supply store ?

Before I retired I went to electrical contractor supply stores several times each month. We have 4 of them in our town industrial park side of town. I have been retired 20 years I just don't think about them anymore. Team Electric & Harris Electric are strictly industrial not much home lighting. M&A Supply & CC Dickson will probably have motion detector lights. M&A will be the lowest price. I will call them Monday. My 2 friends Bob & Rider both retired from Team Electric and died.

Last edited:
Before I retired I went to electrical contractor supply stores several times each month. We have 4 of them in our town industrial park side of town. I have been retired 20 years I just don't think about them anymore. Team Electric & Harris Electric are strictly industrial not much home lighting. M&A Supply & CC Dickson will probably have motion detector lights. M&A will be the lowest price. I will call them Monday. My 2 friends Bob & Rider both retired from Team Electric and died. A lot of people seem to die shortly after they retire. Retire early before your dead.

Then don't retire :D

It's certainly true a lot of people die shortly after retiring, and it's not possible for most people to retire early.

I was made redundant a few years before I was retirement age, but I was able to immediately start work for a friend (who I'd already done consultant work for) - so I was able to specify what days and hours I wanted to work. Pay is poor (we both get minimum wage), but we get regular bonuses as well (which is paid to a NEST Pension) - plus various perks, and it's as much 'play time' as 'work time' - no stress, no worries :D

I think a motion detector light system is illegal in my Canadian city if it shines on a neighbor's home or property.
When walking my dog at night I see very few motion detector light systems on homes so very few are ever sold.

My city has LED street lights all over the place. The original ones never turned off during daylight for about 10 years so they were recently replaced with LED lights that turn on only during darkness.

I am an old geezer who retired many years ago and I am still very much alive. I am active and have not gained any weight since I was about 15 years old.

I think a motion detector light system is illegal in my Canadian city if it shines on a neighbor's home or property.
When walking my dog at night I see very few motion detector light systems on homes so very few are ever sold.

My city has LED street lights all over the place. The original ones never turned off during daylight for about 10 years so they were recently replaced with LED lights that turn on only during darkness.

I am an old geezer who retired many years ago and I am still very much alive. I am active and have not gained any weight since I was about 15 years old.

Unless you're walking in peoples gardens you're not going to see PIR lights switching on, it seems pretty unlikely that such things are banned in Canada, or perhaps it's a criminals paradise?.

We have a lot of crime in our area. A man 7 houses south of us was shot and killed in his yard cutting grass on his lawn mower. Killer got $10 and someone got his vehicle tag number now killer is in prison & the man is still dead. There are lots of shootings in town at night. I have videos of vehicles pulling into our driveway at 2 am then back up very fast when our 9000 lumen light comes on. I have 5 LED lights in 5 places. We have a Bob Cat that looks big as a mountain lion I never want to meet him at night. I took PIR apart nothing is burned. Surface mount parts too tiny to work on.

PIR with 3 controls came today. The 3rd control is day or night. I set in a dark room for 20 minutes trying to get settings close. About 3 pm it was mounted on the wall. 8:35 pm its almost dark. Dials 1 and 3 are good. Dial 2 is set for about 1 min I changed it to 2 then 2.5. This PIR is more sensitive than the other PIR light attracts bugs very quick and bugs keep the PIR on all the time. PIR had to be moved 2 feet from light so bugs are not making PIR stay on.

100_7927.JPG

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back