Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

0-5(9) VDC controller with 12+ different outputs (need lots o help x)

Status
Not open for further replies.

voffel

First of all I would like to introduce myself since this is my first post on this forum.

My name is Roar and i come from Norway, and thats about it, back to what`s really important: what I would like help to make :D

What I would like to make is a controller that has 20 + outputs of 0-5(9) VDC where each of the outputs can be adjusted from 0-5(9) VDC without interfering with the other outputs. I would also like each output to have a on/off switch.

Each output will be used to drive small motors (like the onces in CD-Roms) and the wire from the controller to the motor may be several meters long 0-10 meters.
Attached a illustrating Picture

A text diagram of how I want it to work
220-240VAC --->AC/DC transformer eks.**broken link removed**--->20+ different voltage regulators that can regulate the DC voltage from 0-5 and where each can be turned on/off--->20+ different outputs for motors eks. **broken link removed**

Edit
I think I will be using these **broken link removed** or similar motors in the project
/Edit

What I would like to ask is:
1. Are there anything that would be easy to modify into this, like computer power supplies and such things.

2. Is this project easy enough to make? ( I can solder and all that, just a little rusty on the electronics)

3. Anything else I should be wary about, like heat sensors for the motors and such?

Thanks in advance to anyone who reply.

-Roar

Attachments

• voltageregulator.jpg
    voltageregulator.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
First, grab one of your motors, hook it to an adjustable (lab) power supply, and measure how much current it takes to operate the motor, both loaded and unloaded at 5V, and 9V (if the motor is rated for that). Report back with the current, and we can cobble something together.

Hi MikeMl

Edit
I think I will be using these **broken link removed** or similar motors in the project so that should give the load value and so on :D
/Edit

Thanks for the tip, but doing that wont be to easy since the motors that are going to be used are salvaged motors from cd-roms, small electronics and such. so measuring them wont be that easy =(

But about the load, its going to be just some cardboard/plastic clips attached to them, they will be used in a sort of art project/sound installation where the motors will be used as drummers, so there wont really be any load.
previously regular 9 v batteries or several 1,5 v batteries has been used together with just a toggle switch and some wire.

Does this information give you any help, since i cant easily measure the draw current of each motor, I also want to be able to use voltage regulation to preform speed regulation

-Roar

Last edited:
Hi Roar

The little motors you linked to have the specifications listed:

* Rated voltage: 3V DC
* No load current: 0.34A max.
* No load speed: 16,400rpm ±15%
* Rated load: 8.0 g.cm
* Rated load current: 1.07A max.
* Rated load speed: 13,100rpm ±12%
* Length excluding shaft: 25mm
* Diameter: 20mm
* Width across flats: 15.1mm
* Shaft length: 9.4mm
* Shaft diameter: 2mm
* Weight: 17g approx.
* Manufacturer: TruMotion

I don't think using salvaged CDROM or Hard Drive motors is an option as those motors require a controller for the type motors they are. Although they do say the load current can reach an amp I believe with a light load they will stay well below an amp @ 3 volts. These little guys can run at up to 4.5 volts but that is sort of pushing them. They run well at about 3 volts. So what you need is multiple channels of about 1.5 to about 4.5 volts capable of about 1 amp. Less current if the motor really doesn't have work to do but you should leave a buffer in there so about an amp. You mention 20 motors which becomes a tall order.

The 3.3 volt output of an old computer power supply would likely work but you won't be able to vary the speed. You may find some regulators that will work off the 5 volt output but this is not all that easy. 20 motors is again a tall order.

Ron

Last edited:
Hi Ron

I know 20 motors might be a tall order :D but with the right parts it should be possible (i hope).

Like I edited into my first post:
A text diagram of how I want it to work
220-240VAC --->AC/DC transformer eks.**broken link removed**--->20+ different voltage regulators that can regulate the DC voltage from 0-5 and where each can be turned on/off--->20+ different outputs for motors eks. **broken link removed**

So is it possible to take a 5V 40A supply, and split that 5V into 20+ different motor controller circuits with on/off button + voltage regulator(with potentiometer so it can easily be operated) from 1,5-5

Would this be possible to do? as a way to get this thing to work and to regulate the voltage for the motors??. (see picture attachment)

Attachments

• simple block.jpg
    simple block.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 124
That would work. Simple and inexpensive. You really only need to switch the high sides of the motors with the pots in series. Something like the attached. You will need to mess around to get a pot that will work well but with 5 volts supplied about a 10 to 25 Ohm 5 Watt pot should work. Hard to tell what the little motors will actually draw will be.

Ron

Attachments

• DC Motor1.gif
    DC Motor1.gif
    4.8 KB · Views: 126
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back