Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

µwave Comm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first is to get an external antenna. Either a car kit antenna or something like a yagi or if you can't find one then either making a yagi or a double diamond antenna.
Run this inside to your mobile phone. Having your phone sitting in a car kit in your house lets you use it hands free with good coverage and keep the phone charged.

If this isn't practical, then the next step is the passive repeater like pyro has suggested.
It's best to use a high gain external antenna and a short run of coax to the internal antenna which is something like a small omni.
In the worst cases then you can consider the active repeaters. Which are not legal in a lot of places. Though here in Australia it doesn't stop a lot of people installing and using them. Occasionally they cause a problem and then people like me are sent out to find them and on some occasions talk nicely to the offenders.
They do sometimes cause problems to mobile networks but at the same time they do work quite well. They're the option of last resort and they require some knowledge to set them up properly. They work best in very remote areas, not in suburban areas.

First idea is pretty, but that just isn't practical because they have many cellphones in their home.

No, i dont think i need an active repeater for this case, because the signal can be trapped clearly outside.
'''legal problems''' - Is this because it can have high power?
BTW, can i use same antennae for both wifi and cell phone signals(since they use same spectrum of freq)?

No, active repeaters are actually quite low power.
The real commercial units used by phone companies in places like shopping centres are about 5-10W.
The kind used by farmers are only about 1W output. This doesn't sound like a lot but it is more than enough to cause problems in modern networks, especially in urban areas.

Depending on where you live, either pyro or myself or somebody else might be able to tell you were you might find some antennas short of building your own.
In Australia 800-920MHz is common for 3G and GSM. There is also an 1800MHz GSM and a 2100MHz 3G/4G.
Some of our local telco shops and rural electronics shops sell suitable antennas.

BTW, what are the major differences b/w active and passive repeaters? I suppose both require power to work, but active does amplification How they cause Network Problem?
There are quite good ones available within 50$, i'll recommend him to buy one of that kind, seems to be worthy.

@trash
building one like that, i'll come back about this.

Passive repeaters use no power. They are passive.

Amplifiers have problems mainly because people don't install them correctly.
The second is they sometimes feedback, oscillate, add noise and especially cause intermod.
Sometimes the problems are noticed by the phone user but most of the time they are unaware they are causing a problem.

The network operators can see trends in the network. If there is a rogue unit it doesn't take long to notice it.
I do know one person who got caught out in just such a situation. Rather amusing who it was.

Even when the carriers are testing their network, they know where their repeaters are and remotely shut them down before testing.

Passive repeaters use no power. They are passive.

Amplifiers have problems mainly because people don't install them correctly.
The second is they sometimes feedback, oscillate, add noise and especially cause intermod.

Even when the carriers are testing their network, they know where their repeaters are and remotely shut them down before testing.

Amazing trash, how did you know this information, by experience? (i mean abt the 'problems they cause' and how/why - Any Links?).
They track the repeater? What method they use to track the device?

Edit:
1. Good Information here - (6.7 MB)
2. How to build Passive Repeaters

Last edited:
I've worked on mobile networks over the years.
Part of that is installing and commissioning new base stations.
So areas that I know that there are repeaters our test results can be crap.
Repeaters that belong to our network we shut down before testing.
We don't need to track them, they have often have a remote link that we can shut them down.

I have a friend that installs repeaters for 3G in remote areas (not as part of the network) so we share information.

The boss of the who is in charge of the network had a repeater running in it's house and it went faulty. He was rather surprised that a couple of his guys turned up personally at
his front door. Rather embarrassing having to ask him if he had something running that might be causing problems.

The group of people responsible for network integrity can see when a cell has problems.
If it continues they send somebody out to investigate the base station. I doesn't take long to work out if the base is faulty or when we look at the incoming signals
we can see the interference. At that point we set up RDF gear and go find the source.

We're all pretty friendly about anybody causing problems because it's easier to get people to co-operate.
If somebody is nasty etc, then he would have to call in the feds (ACMA) who can softly kick their door down. :)
But we've never had to do that.

You can look at ham radio "foxhunting" or "RDF" to see how hidden transmitters and interference is found.

great information there, but couldnt find much information about radio interference due to actve repeaters. Those repeaters only amplify incoming/outgoing waves, how would they cause interfernce. (Because, in my opinion those repeaters are not producing any freq which are out of desired spectrum. even if the filter is not accurate, the other spectrum is not used by cell phones/wifi).

ham radios have now become extinct, i've never seen anybody using them nowadays.

(Because, in my opinion those repeaters are not producing any freq which are out of desired spectrum.
These assumptions are really correct or relevant. There are several different issues here and a couple of different scenarios. It's very hard to understand the issues when you cannot see what goes on from the mobile phone network's point of view.
I can tell you what to look for and read up on, but it probably won't make a lot of sense to you.
But if you must this is some light reading on the subject of PIM (Passive InterMod) in WCDMA networks
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2012/01/Intermod.pdf

ham radios have now become extinct, i've never seen anybody using them nowadays.
Oh, they are going to tear you to pieces for saying that.

I'm not sure how many hams there are in the USA, but there must be about half a million.
I know there's about 2 million in Japan.
In Australia numbers are increasing. There are probably about 20,000 hams here.

Oh, they are going to tear you to pieces for saying that.

I'm not sure how many hams there are in the USA, but there must be about half a million.
I know there's about 2 million in Japan.
In Australia numbers are increasing. There are probably about 20,000 hams here.

I get a posse together and prepare the lynch mob!!

far out Electroenthusiast !!! you make some wildly inaccurate statements!!

Dave <--- still a very active amateur radio operator after 30 years licenced
VK2TDN

Last edited:
OK, can I join the posse?

Having been interested in radio for about 50 years, and held my amateur licence since 1970, amateur radio in its various forms has provided a great hobby and support for various aspects of my professional career.

Study some radio Electroenthusiast, and then you will be able to tell the difference between a mircowave and any other size of wave you care to mention.

Jim GM3ZMA

Study some radio Electroenthusiast, and then you will be able to tell the difference between a mircowave and any other size of wave you care to mention.

Jim GM3ZMA

Where was i wrong? Someone else was wrong, and it was not me. You can check the posts.

@Dave:
You can't call that inaccurate, it was my belief. Everyone here are not right always.
BTW, i had an opinion that the no. has decreased, due to the advent of Internet.

Hams will be the last to die.

unless we all give ourselves leukemia through over exposure to microwave RF energy hahaha

As JimB said its a great hobby which has also helped me keep up with changing technology.
speaking of which ... hey trash, me ol' mate ;) it must be time to get a bit more old cellphone site gear from your before it gets dumped haha

checking the posts....
Electroenthusiast, your quote...

obviously your walk around with your eyes closed ;) we are definately alive, well and still kicking

anyway have a look through some of the links that trash provided and I think you will find extinction is not in the near future.

cheers
Dave

Yeah, I think that ship has sailed Dave.
It's slim pickin's these days. Unless of course you've moved up to DIN connectors.
If anything is going to the scrapys then I can usually bribe them with beer.

I was thinking about the Wifi radiations and the mobile radiations. Sources on the internet saw that the Wifi radiations are better than Mobile radiations when in context of human health. Don't know how this is possible. Aren't the radiation hazards depend on frequency? So the GHz wifi should be much hazardous than mobile radiations.

Addin to this, the channels increases when the you increase the bandwidth in bitrates, which is again increase in frequency. Isn't this hazardous?
As we know, the increase in frequency will deter the range of communication, whereas when you increase the bitrate, you are increasing the range of router. Little confused with all this, can anyone add up their understanding and discuss the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back