Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Zero Potential is not ground, How do you tell the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If i don't use the O-scopes ground, it will make the signal/waveforms very noisey on the display and I can't trigger them too
As pointed out, if the DUT is not isolated and plugged into the same supply (not necessarily same socket) then you dont need the ground clip because, both are referenced to the same ground already

At some of my jobs , techs uses an isolation transformer for their oscilloscopes , why don't u?

Because he is qualified and knows what he is talking about.

They use an isolation transformer to separate the grounds from the test fixture, power supply, variac, o-scope, etc.

Each one has it's own isolation transformers , so there is no ground loops also or grounding problems

Except one minor detail. nothing is reference to each other

Except one minor detail. nothing is reference to each other

So when the test fixture, external power supply, oscilloscope are all reference to each other , it creates ground looks, loading problems , etc?

ya but they said when you plug in an external power supply, a test fixture , oscilloscope , it loads down the wall 120 volts

Well yes it does, but plug anything into a socket turn it on, and it will place a load on the line if it's working, if it isnt working, then they give it to you to fix. Once they iron out a few wrinkles in free energy then you may well be able to run something off the socket without using any power! Dont mock, all thats left to do is find a way of breaking the law's of thermodynamics, they must be close as i have seen video's on you tube that prove it

So when the test fixture, external power supply, oscilloscope are all reference to each other , it creates ground looks, loading problems , etc?
yes it creates loading, ground loops if it isnt done properly, ok yes at your place of work you will get ground loops.
but that is a small price to pay for getting accurate readings of the instruments you are using to fault find

yes it creates loading, ground loops if it isnt done properly, ok yes at your place of work you will get ground loops.
but that is a small price to pay for getting accurate readings of the instruments you are using to fault find

Well that's why they use them because they told me they get false readings

The test fixtures AC and DC line voltage will be off because of loading problems if an external power supply is connected to the same wall outlet as it is

Or a phase meter that is referenced to the 115 400hz main lines will be distorted and will overload the input of the reference input to the phase meter if there is other things connected to the same outlet wall as it is

How can you fix these problems? they use isolation transformers for each piece of equipment

Well that's why they use them because they told me they get false readings
has any of your experts considered the possibility, that everything isolated from each other, might also give false readings???

How can you fix these problems?

Now that i do have an answer for, and one that is guaranteed to work.

Sack the entire technical department, and hire people who know what they are doing, maybe even go as far as hiring people who studied electronics, rather than art or drama

has any of your experts considered the possibility, that everything isolated from each other, might also give false readings???

True, I didn't think about that because they aren't related or reference to eachother

The test fixtures AC and DC line voltage will be off because of loading problems if an external power supply is connected to the same wall outlet as it is
Sounds like your test dept has some bad wiring. Is there anyone there that can fix your wiring?

Sounds like your test dept has some bad wiring. Is there anyone there that can fix your wiring?
Unlikely, as that kind of thing is a bit too electrical. It could also involve the use of mega meters and such like, so a technical department that struggles with a multi meter, is probably not the best place to find someone to fix electrical problems! If it was me i would probably go ask the account's department if they had someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back