Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Zero Crossing Using Optocoupler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojalco

I am currently designing a zero crossing detector using an 4N25 optocoupler. I have a series resistor which is valued at 33Kilo Ohms 5watts, in series with it is a 1N4007 diode, which normally have a greater breakdown voltage than that of the light emitting diode inside of the 4N25. It works fine.

The problem is that the resistor that Im using gets too hot. Could anyone give me an advice on how I could dissipate this heat on the resistor.

Thanks in advance!!!

Hi Mojalco,
I used this same circuit before but in different value. that is, a 47Kohms in series with a 1N4007 and 4n37. The high voltage of about 230V is injected to this circuit but the resistor didnt emitted any heat or even i cant fell it. the resistor rated at 1/4W.

I used this circuit to detect an appliance status.

Mojalco said:
I am currently designing a zero crossing detector using an 4N25 optocoupler. I have a series resistor which is valued at 33Kilo Ohms 5watts, in series with it is a 1N4007 diode, which normally have a greater breakdown voltage than that of the light emitting diode inside of the 4N25. It works fine.

The problem is that the resistor that Im using gets too hot. Could anyone give me an advice on how I could dissipate this heat on the resistor.

Thanks in advance!!!
I think you should check your resistor value. Are you sure it's not 3.3k? A 33k resistor, even across 220 volts, should only dissipate (V^2/R)=1.5 watts. With a diode in series, it should dissipate 0.74 watts. If you're using 120v, it should only dissipate 218 mw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back