Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Yamaha Portable Grand DGX-220

Status
Not open for further replies.

pedals

The Bb2 key on my Yamaha keyboard is faulty and makes it very difficult to play.When pressed it sounds at full volume regardless of how hard it is struck. I have cleaned the key contacts using Isopropyl Alcohol on a cotton bud to no avail. (I also have a Roland synth which sometimes does the same thing and this method cures it). Is there a component in the touch sensitive circuit that needs replacing ?. Any advice would be welcome. There are no service facilities handy to where I live. Regards..................Pedals

Yamaha uses a pair of contacts to sense the speed which the key is pressed... one contact cone is shorter, introducing a slight delay. the delay time indicates how hard you are hitting the key. you need to clean both sets of contacts and the carbon buttons in the rubber contact strip. it's the carbon buttons that pick up debris on their surfaces that usually cause problems with the switches.

If one contact is reading as "on" it will read a zero time for the key acceleration(re what unclejed said).

Maybe cleaning will fix it, otherwise it could be a damaged input component.

Thanks unclejed. I did clean both contacts as well as the carbon buttons but I'll repeat the process more thoroughly now in light of your reply.

Thanks Mr RB. I'm going to try giving the contacts a more thorough clean. If this doesn't work do you know how I could determine which component could be at fault ?.

That may not be easy! :)

First the cleaning, you can use a multimeter set to the megaohms range to check the contacts, normally if there is a spill or corrosion issue that contact will measure lower ohms than the other (good) contacts around it.

Sometimes cleaning just spreads the contaminant, so you need to clean multiple times with new cloth each time. I use like a soft t-shirt type cloth and just damp with metho (alcohol) and like I said a few times and an few pieces of cloth. Don't use a lot of force or scrubbing as the contacts are often a conductive paint material.

If you've cleaned it well and tested with the ohmmeter and it still has the fault, then it's probably time to get a service manual and start tracing the signal from the contacts to the electronics.

I did reply to your last post Mr RB but it doesn't seem to have registered. Thanks for the further info, I'll do as you suggest when I get a chance to work on the keyboard again....Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back