Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

y use capacitors before XTAL

Status
Not open for further replies.

uogian

I m unable to understand that why we use capacitors with XTAL-oscillator.
Friendz if anyone of u know its logic, plz reply me
thanx

Baber Mustafa

The crystal looks inductive in a narrow region near its resonance (actually, between its series and parallel resonances). That's 90 degrees of phase shift. You need another 90 degrees (provided by either of the caps) to get 180 degrees phase shift between in and out, which is the main condition for oscillation. That's about as simple as I can describe it.

Last edited:
because they make oscilator frequency more stable.
Not the capacitors are a requirement and aren't optional, although if you've got large PCB traces it is possible for it to oscillate without capacitors but it's a silly idea and not stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back