X & K bands

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr.power

Hi Guys,

I would like to know what are the "X-BAND" and "K-Band" really?

What about "X-BAX" or something so? I guess the last is not related with the above ones.

Thanks

Yest thanks,

I saw the K and X bands here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radar_gun

Do you know why are they called X and K?

In the Radar gun they tell that they find the speed by having the difference frequency, Can you plz tell me what is the equation/relationship between the frequency and the speed?

The "doppler effect" causes the sound or radio transmitter frequency of an object travelling towards you to increase because the waves are crammed close together. It the object is moving away then the frequency deceases because the waves are separated.

A radar gun measures the difference in the frequency of the signal reflection caused by the speed.

A radar gun measures the difference in the frequency of the signal reflection caused by the speed.

Yea, I know that they work based on the Doppler effect but would like to know the formula indicating the relationship between the frequency and the speed here.

Thank

The formula for Doppler frequency shift is shown in many articles in Google.

Yest thanks,

Do you know why are they called X and K?

from my favourite microwave site Microwaves 101.....

"There is confusion and controversy about the microwave frequency band definitions used in North America. Legend has it that the designators were originally contrived during World War II to confuse the enemy. Engineers in Fort Monmouth New Jersey came up with the letter codes, which were classified as Secret at the time. Naturally, a logical progression of A, B, C wouldn't do for that purpose, so they chose L, C, X and K, and a whole bunch of lower-case letter sub-band designators that have been all but forgotten, with the exception of the Ku and Ka bands. After the war, Uncle Sam didn't declassify the system for everyone's use, different companies such as Sperry, Motorola, Narda, Hewlett Packard and Raytheon made educated guesses on the secret frequency bands, with inconsistent results and little attempt to organize an industry-wide standard. "

Have a look here for other info

http://www.microwaves101.com/encyclopedia/letterbands.cfm

cheers
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…