Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

WTB Jogdial ..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

m1tch37

Greetings,

I want to buy a component i can only describe as a jog dial. I cannot find them in stores anywhere, but have seen them on countless applications. You often see them as volume dials on radios. They are like potentiometer that can spin forever. I assume how they work is each 'jog' a line goes temporarily high (one for each direction), i dont know how you would handle a fast twist in this case, but i will work that out later. Ideally i would also like the dial to be pushable (on my radio, this turns it on/off) but that may be not available.

Does anyone know where i could find such a component?

Cheers
Mitch

It's called a 'quadrature encoder', the micro-controller that you connect it to requires software writing for it to decide which way it's turning, and to count the pulses.

Thats great thanks. They seam to be widely available, i was just searching under the wrong name.

But i was wondering if anyone knew if you can purchase one that can be pushed in as a switch too.

Edit: Spoke too soon, i found this:

**broken link removed**

Does this look ok for what i need?

Last edited:
That looks like what you want but it's a bit expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back