Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

WOW! Newman Machine!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's just a fancy motor running from a solar panel. The energy comes from the sun. I've built something similar where you put a bar magnet inside a large coil and a single transistor oscillator made from the coil with a resistor causes the magnet to rotate quite fast. I ran mine on 6-9V and it only draws 30ma or so.

justDIY said:
look how huge that solar panel is, just to power those tiny electric motor.

is the Newman motor supposedly more efficient than Tesla's AC motor or Edison's DC motor? Looks like it takes a huge coil for not doing much work

I think that's the point, it works on very little energy, but doesn't provide any useable output power. A 'normal' motor requires more energy to move, but can actually be used for something.

As Nigel points out, the energy output is useless.

The cost of purchasing and building [and manually moving the solar panel around] costs far more than the recoverable energy available at the motor shaft.

Sailing ships and Windmills, for the past 2000 years are good examples of free energy, also the Sundial works on solar energy and its got no moving parts. [not counting the shadow...:rolleyes: ]

Seems like we're in the wrong job Nigel...

Gotta love the terms 'free energy' and 'over unity' being exchanged willy nilly. But yes, technically 'free' energy is something that does not require any consumable source..like wind, waves..solar.these happen anyway without the need for mechanical, chemical or electromagnetic persuasion by us. We are surrounded by 'free energy'...its just a question of getting at it, in a usable form in enough quantity to make the tea.

Over unity? no such thing...unless you ignore all outside energy sources.

Sorry someone spawned a rant :/

Blueteeth

In net terms, that gizmo is not using free energy.

look at all the fossil fuel energy that went into production of those massive copper coils, the rare earth magnets and the solar panel itself. all that gear has a big carbon footprint for a machine that basically does nothing.

at least the "free energy" projects which recharge an ipod in 10 days using a solar panel stitched into the side of a knapsack try to reduce their carbon footprint a little by doing actual work.

Yeah thats true, A lot of people do not take into account of the process of making the object.

Krumlink said:
Yeah thats true, A lot of people do not take into account of the process of making the object.

If a device 'could' be made more than 100% efficient (which it obviously can't) - then the energy consumed making it wouldn't matter, because it would eventually produce more than it took :p

Then feed the output into the input, and it would explode

Wouldn't jellying a cat be 100% efficient? :p

It's hard to say. They don't mention if dead cats and stale toast would run the mono-rail. I would assume you'd have to feed the cats to keep them alive and thus offset the forces created by the jelly. ;)

the cats can eat the jelly............. ;)

Well, since it has been proven that the cat/jelly apparatus works, we can start trying hybrid mixtures. For example, we could mix Grape jelly with Raspberry jelly (the mixture that will be known as Grasberry), and see what effects that has on the speed/velocity of the cat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back