Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Would you want to solder a TQFP IC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
By the way, ST has the LD1117 regulator which should be cheaper than the LM version from National - Mouser has good prices on ICs from ST. I am planning to order them instead of LM1117.

Well i have to say that i can be done easy, Just pre solder the pads (i have done it heaps of time). Then the solder you add later will adhere and float much easier..

Well I soldered my first 0.50mm TQFP onto a Schmartboard, it was easy but that's thanks to the Schmartboard (raised soldermask so the chip sits in the groves) and flux (you've gotta have flux for SMD stuff).
**broken link removed**

What kind of flux do you use? I use paste flux, only bad thing is that it drys out after a while.

Krumlink said:
What kind of flux do you use? I use paste flux, only bad thing is that it drys out after a while.

You use liquid flux, it comes in a little bottle with a small brush (like nail varnish).

How I would do it is brush flux along the tracks, position the IC, then tag two opposite corners using a needle pointed bit - making dead sure it's accurately placed. Then make sure it's the right way round :D , make sure again it's accurately aligned - then brush over the pins with more liquid flux.

Next make sure it's the right way round, and accurately aligned :D - then check it again! - lastly draw a spoon shaped bit loaded with solder along each row of pins in turn. The liquid flux makes the solder flow nicely, gives a nice joint, and stops it shorting pins together.

Next clean the flux off the board.

Finally - check it's the right way round again :D

You can't check it's the right way round too many times! :p

I admit to not having read all four pages, but my tip is to use lots of flux (water soluble seems to work best for me) and then kind of drag the iron across the pins with just a bit of solder on the tip. You'll get good at figuring out how much it needs. Secondly, don't use the smallest tip they have. I can't ever get those Metcal fine conical tips to melt anything. Speaking of which, I have a fine Metcal conical tip for sale. I have a PS3 IR to bluetooth box that I've designed that is packed tight with a QFP and micro. Even with passives all around it is still pretty easy to solder in the QFP.

- ame

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back