Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Would you rather have more outputs or inputs in an ethernet home controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueroomelectronics

This kit has ethernet & home control in mind, I'm seriously considering 5 (yes five) relays on the design as this would be ideal for a two stage HVAC controller (Furnace & AC). Of course you could use more than one if you need more I/O.

Think of it as a powerful ELK-MM443 controller
**broken link removed**

Well as usual I'm working on the next kit before the last is finished, I like to stir the ideas around before commiting them to a PCB.
The PIC18Fxxxx based kit will have...
  • Ethernet ENC28J60
  • RS485 (optionally RS232 or possibly RS422) opinions?
  • SPI EEPROM
  • 32768Hz watch crystal on TMR1
  • ICD Inchworm connector
Now here's where I need advice.

Would it be more useful to have 4 relays and 4 inputs?
or 6 relays and 2 inputs
or optoisolated inputs
or analog / digital inputs...

Pictured below is a similar device.
**broken link removed**

I like inputs personally. But it's more to do with what I do. In robotics, there's only so many motors and actuators you can use, but lots and lots and lots of possible sensors. I just try to make sure I've covered all the outputs I need for actuators first. But for what you are saying it is for, I am guessing you need more outputs than inputs.

But...how about an equal number since you can always use more than one...? Now there's an idea!

It seems we often follow different tracks but for what its worth.

You need at least as many inputs as outputs. I favor having more inputs then outputs in that it makes sense to have redundant sensors.

If your budget is 8 I/O pins I would use:
6 pins for relays
2 pins for two 1-wire interfaces to handle inputs.

It is best to have redundant 1-wire networks. That way if a sensor or a run of sensors stop working you can still function.

I am not sure what to say about redundant interfaces. If it were a bare board the end user could populate only the required interface. Not sure about kit form.

I see that Newark has the ENC28J60/SP DIP.

Peter H. Anderson has a selection of Serial Control and Measurement boards using RS232 that you may want to look at.

TWI! (or I2C for you PICers)
It actually would be best, if one can get normal Digital outputs also from the board. Like no relay at all, just TTL levels.

bloody-orc said:
TWI! (or I2C for you PICers)
It actually would be best, if one can get normal Digital outputs also from the board. Like no relay at all, just TTL levels.

I was considering I2C but the MSSP is tied up with SPI (ENC28J60 & EEPROM).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back