Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Would this H-Bridge Work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fantasymick

My main convern is whether the transistor pairs (top right, bottom left / top left, bottom right) will be able to react to the PWM signal. Also, whether the logic for the braking works or not.

Assume that when brake is on, there will be no PWM signal.

Thanks.

Updated Other than that, would the circuit work?

Attachments

• h-bridge2.jpg
    h-bridge2.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 680
your top tow PNP darlington pair BJT's are the wrong way up

Exo said:
Are they? I would say they're not - the top ones are PNP's.

They were!!! Honest.
Must of been an edit. Just a small thing I know

EDIT
you have no free-wheel diodes across the darlingtons of the H-Bridge.

give me a bit of time, just going through the logic

EDIT
you have a slow turn-off of the top PNP's with no interlock logic. High
chance of switching shoot-throughs esp during PNP-off and NPN-on

EDIT
This will not work.
The direction pin (fwd/rev) feeds two AND gates, the output of the AND gates then feeds teh relevant BJT's. When the direction bit is LOW, no PWM can get through.

This is more of a disable than a direction

Sorry, I had the NOT gate placed incorrectly. This is what I meant. About the slow turn off of the pnp/npn at the top. I actually got my idea from this site:

http://www.mcmanis.com/chuck/robotics/tutorial/h-bridge/bjt-circuit.html

If this transistor configuration won't work, is there another way to turn on only the top two transistors of the H-Bridge when I need to brake and assume normal operation of the bridge when I don't?

Here's the updated diagram:

Attachments

• h-bridge3.jpg
    h-bridge3.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 614
It will work, you will just have to carefull IF you change the direction at a PWM HIGH.

best be in the software is to only make it change the direction bit when the PWM is LOW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back