Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Would this be a Worthwhile Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryan

Hello:

New to PIC programming, but have some basic experience in programming and electronics. Attached is a pic of a wavemaker used to control powerheads in an aquarium. These particular units are no longer made, but I am wondering if duplicating the functionality using a PIC would be possible.

Thinking it would make for a interesting project to learn PIC programming. I would forgo the outputs to triacs or relays for now and use 4 leds to test the outputs.

Any suggestions which Microchip controller I should base the project on. PIC16F84A?

Attachments

• Wavemaker.JPG
    Wavemaker.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 173
bryan said:
Hello:

New to PIC programming, but have some basic experience in programming and electronics. Attached is a pic of a wavemaker used to control powerheads in an aquarium. These particular units are no longer made, but I am wondering if duplicating the functionality using a PIC would be possible.

Thinking it would make for a interesting project to learn PIC programming. I would forgo the outputs to triacs or relays for now and use 4 leds to test the outputs.

Sounds simple enough?.

Any suggestions which Microchip controller I should base the project on. PIC16F84A?

NO, NO, NO!!!! - the 16F84A has been essentially obselete for almost ten years, it was replaced by the 16F628, cheaper, faster, more facilities and pin compatible. The 16F628 has even been replaced now as well, by the 16F628A (just a later silicon revision).

There are plenty of other 18 pin devices, but the 16F628A should do all you need.

Unless you have a rail of the 16F84A just stop using it. Here's a site that describes why.
http://finitesite.com/d3jsys/16F628.html

PS good idea using the LEDs and not jumping head first into the AC stuff. It's amazing how many folks new to electricity let alone electronics want to hook up high voltage as their first project...

Last edited:
Get down to Jaycar and get either a 16F628A or (my preference) a 16F88. The unit you attached would be easily doable.

Mike.

Second the 16F88 vote. I don't buy any other 18pin 16F anymore. Outstand part the 16F88. In some ways more advanced than the 16F877A

For proto-typing and learning, I would recommend the 16F877A, it basically has every feature under the sun. Not that you have to use them all, but they are there if needed. And the PIC has 40 Pins, allowing you to interface with many devices at the same time. eg, LCD/Keypad etc..

Perhaps this **broken link removed** will help you design you first program?

Have you already purchased a PIC programmer yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back