Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

WLoader and ICSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPDCHK

For all my PIC projects I've ever built, I've used MPLAB to program the code with, and used to download the HEX file into the PIC (via ZIF socket. i.e. remove chip, burn, re-insert into circuit etc.)

I've been starting with JAL as an alternative programming language to ASM.
One of the WEB sites I found, "WLoader - a 16f877 application loader refers to the Wloader and another site "Free PIC16F877 Project" had reference to both Wloader, ICSP (In Circuit Serial Programming)

My Question: What hardware/software do I use to program this with?
I would assume that these to topics are not related, and was therefore wondering if the same software / hardware configuration for programming would be used?

The that I use, connects via the parallel cable.

Anybody have experience on these two subjects?

Thanks

SPDCHK said:
For all my PIC projects I've ever built, I've used MPLAB to program the code with, and used to download the HEX file into the PIC (via ZIF socket. i.e. remove chip, burn, re-insert into circuit etc.)

I've been starting with JAL as an alternative programming language to ASM.
One of the WEB sites I found, "WLoader - a 16f877 application loader refers to the Wloader and another site "Free PIC16F877 Project" had reference to both Wloader, ICSP (In Circuit Serial Programming)

My Question: What hardware/software do I use to program this with?
I would assume that these to topics are not related, and was therefore wondering if the same software / hardware configuration for programming would be used?

This is called a 'boot loader', a program that runs in the 16F877, you first need to program the wloader code into the chip. You then connect the chip via a serial lead to your PC, and you can then program the chip via the serial lead while it's in circuit. Obviously their are a few limitations to this scheme, mainly that you (obviously!) mustn't overwrite the bootloader code - but this is normally stored right at the top of memory out of the way.

It actually works incredibly well, and because it uses a serial port (which you may already have on your PIC system), it doesn't waste any resources.

There are various types of bootloader, the one I've used uses ONLY the serial port pins, and no others - some require an extra I/O pin to initiate the transfer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back