Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

wiring power windows on a 1987 Ford F-250

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob1996

I am installing power windows on my 1987 Ford F-250, there is a cross over harness to attach both doors, and one two pin port. i have tried to find a wiring diagram to tell me where the power goes. the blue wire definitely connects to the 2 window switches (left and right doors), and the Black wire connects to the door lock switch. hooking a battery to the door, I tried jumping the ground to the door then the power to the blue wire, no power to the motor (either door), putting the positive battery post to the black wire same results.... not sure how to wire this, both doors are off the truck and need to get the windows out in order to restore the doors for pain and rust repair, don't want to weld on the door with the windows in them and have splatter stick to the windows. any help is appreciated switches all seem to work using Ohm meter

Is this an aftermarket power window kit or are you swapping from a salvage vehicle to your vehicle?

If it is aftermarket there should be installation instructions and schematics. If it is a swap then you probably need more wiring. Most power windows use multiple relays to reverse polarity for up and down operation.

This may be useful. It's for a newer model but the wiring may be similar.

Thank you, I think this is going to help me, appreciate your response

Thank you, looked it up and think this will help me with my problem, appreciate your help

Is this an aftermarket power window kit or are you swapping from a salvage vehicle to your vehicle?

If it is aftermarket there should be installation instructions and schematics. If it is a swap then you probably need more wiring. Most power windows use multiple relays to reverse polarity for up and down operation.
using two doors with power windows and locks, purchased the crossover harness, just having problems with getting current to the door windows and locks. did find Ford Truck enthusiast and that really helped, also my son in law purchased a program with Alldata.com that has virtually all schematics for the 1987ford F-250. this group and ford enthusiast have been a great help even though i still cannot get power.... thanks all

with a voltmeter it should be easy to identify:
1)ohms test to find ground
2)volt meter to find power, or if power comes from switches.
3)volt or ohms test to figure out which wire is for which switch,
4) use ohms to find matching door/window connections, use power and ground to confirm and establish polarity.

not the easiest way but will work as last resort.

DrDpggu2 thank you. we finally figured out the wiring. our issue was a good ground from the battery. once we got a good ground thing started to work. used the ohm meter to follow all the window and door lock grounds, then followed all the positive lines. now does anyone know where you can get new boots for the door locks?, these are dry rotted... lol

One window motor is shot, the other works but will take it out and clean it up. both door locks work now will have to find a pigtail for the power supply to the harness or make my own... Both lines in the pig tail are positive, one for the windows and one for the locks.

and Yes! it definitely took some time to go thru all the wires and make sure they were all in good shape and registering on the meter.

again, i sure do appreciate everyone's help, this is a fantastic group Thank You

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back