Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

wiring garage door motor for other use

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrb9

Have a Magnetek Universal Electric series 23aa 59186P model DF3F003n 115 V 1/3 hp motor thats labeled it uses 64 MFD 220 VAC capacitor and not sure how to straight wire it to make it run. It has 4 wires coming out of the motor yellow, white, red and blue. I can't find a schematic to figure it out. I'm just guessing but is the yellow a ground, white goes directly to neutral on line in, red and blue both go to capacitor ?? , run black from line in to one side of capacitor with red or blue on other side or what? Any help appreciated.

You need to test what connects to what with a multimeter before powering it up. Tell us what you find.

The motor will have two windings, each with two ends, so 4 connections, but these may be connected together so that there are only three wires that take power. The fourth may be earth. However it could be that you have the four ends of the windings as separate wires. Getting it wrong may end up with a live motor housing

A common way that induction motors are connected is shown in figure 4 of https://electricalacademia.com/indu...-single-phase-induction-motor-wiring-diagram/

If you suspect one is ground, it is easy to check continuity on that conductor to confirm it.
As the above link shows, the typical PSC (permanent Start Cap) door opener motor has identical windings making it easy to reverse with a simple SPDT SW with centre off.
Check the resistance of the other 3 conductors.
Max.

If you suspect one is ground, it is easy to check continuity on that conductor to confirm it.

I have my doubts that any of his wires are ground. Every motor I've ever seen has ground attached to the motor housing not to a wire from inside the motor.

The white and yellow wires register 0 resistance. Blue to wht is 9, blue to yellow is 9, blue to red is 20, red to wht is 10 , red to yellow is 10. ?? all have infinite resistance to housing

The white and yellow wires register 0 resistance. Blue to wht is 9, blue to yellow is 9, blue to red is 20, red to wht is 10 , red to yellow is 10. ?? all have infinite resistance to housing
You should make sure that the housing is earthed for safety, but that will have no effect on the operation.

It looks like you should have white and yellow connected to neutral.

The capacitor should be connected between red and blue. I think you said it was already connected like that.

For one direction, connect live to red and leave blue disconnected.

For the other direction, connect live to blue and leave red disconnected..

I don't know why the white and yellow wires seem to be connected together internally. (There may be a thermal cutout switch connected between them. You would probably have to dismantle the motor to find out.) Connect the white wire to neutral and insulate the end of the yellow wire. For one direction connect the live to the red wire. (With red and blue still connected to the capacitor.) For the other direction connect live to the blue wire.

Les.

FYI: Check out Jeremy Fielding's YouTube channel. He has a lot of videos about motors and I think I watched a couple of them where he rewires them for other uses.

Thanks for all the information. It appears the red needed to go to capacitor with a cutoff switch after starting and the blue live or vice versa for direction change. It will start with push by hand directly live wired with either red or blue. Took a while to get capacitor I ordered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back