Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wiring an old washing machine motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jec0d4

I would like to first apologize for my ignorance and thank you all for any help...

I have an old 1/4 hp washing machine motor I'd like to use for a DIY electric grater.

P/N: W10416668
Model: K48RVNCR1137

It has 3 connection leads and ground, Red, Yellow, White, and Green/Yellow (Ground). Connecting the White and Red the motor starts right up, connecting yellow and red the motor runs but it needs a push to get started.

Ohms:
White <-> Yellow: 6.8 ohm
White <-> Red: 6.6 ohm
Yellow <-> Red: 12.2 ohm

The problem I am having is that regardless of the combination once I stop it and start it up again it starts in the other direction. I need to run it in 1 direction only due to how I designed the grater.

I don't have a capacitor for it right now so I am not sure if this may be the cause for it to spin in different directions when stop/starting again. Do I need a start or run capacitor?

Also, am I correct in assuming based on the label that this is a single speed (label states 1625 RPM)? or is that the highest possible RPM?

Attachments

• Photo Dec 29, 1 16 30 AM.jpg
    Photo Dec 29, 1 16 30 AM.jpg
    498.1 KB · Views: 2,912
  • Photo Dec 29, 1 16 39 AM.jpg
    Photo Dec 29, 1 16 39 AM.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 675
This would be my guess with the limited information.

Connect the capacitor to yellow and red.
Connect neutral to white.
Connect live to yellow for one direction.
connect live to red for the other direction.

Les.

The label says that you need a 45 uF capacitor. It seems that it's a run capacitor, so Les Jones's connection seems correct.

It's a single speed motor. It's a 4 pole motor, so its synchronous speed is 1800 rpm at 60 Hz. It will run near there with no load and slow down to 1625 rpm as the load increases to maximum.

Something like this?
Yes, it's exactly that.

To reverse the motor, connect the line to the yellow instead of the red.

For safety, connect the earth to the green/yellow wire. You can check with the multimeter that the green/yellow wire connects to the motor housing. If not, fit a wire so that the motor housing is connected to ground.

Another questions... The label states 45uf 250VAC cap. I have a local electronics parts store in my area that has new/used cap's.

Can I use a 45 uF 370 VAC Capacitor? or should I try to find the exact one?

Ensure it is a motor start/run rated. At 45uF I would expect that to be a start only cap?
Regardless, you need the right (motor rated) version as the electrolytic types are specially constructed bi-polar for motor use.
Preferably N.A. origin, steer clear of the Chinese versions!
Max..

It needs that capacitor Also, it is reversible, meaning that the capacitor can be flipped from one wire to another to make the motor spin the other way. The unknown is which wires. For example, on a small motor I have feeding an auger (in one direction only), the wiring diagram shows:

1609341790942.png

Of course, your wires are different colors. Hopefully you can figure it out. Different motors will have different wiring diagrams. If the washing machine is still around, there should be a wiring diagram inside of it, somewhere.

Also, it is reversible, meaning that the capacitor can be flipped from one wire to another to make the motor spin the other way. The unknown is which wires. For example, on a small motor I have feeding an auger (in one direction only), the wiring diagram shows:
Although you can only do that if the winding's are identical, (PSC Motor) if the start and run winding's are different, you have to reverse one of the windings only.
Max.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back