Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wiring a fan motor...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Externet

A plain household 120VAC fan had its power/speeds switch removed by some reason.

Wires are
White
Orange
Grey
Red
Blue - factory labeled "N"
and a 15uF/250VAC capacitor

All is disconnected with no clues how is it supposed to be wired.

Trying some combinations, the white as neutral; the motor runs well applying phase to either red, grey or orange but needs help to start spinning. (very little torque)

Any suggestions how to find where to connect the capacitor for proper starting operation ?

These are tough.

1. Do you own an ohmmeter?
2. How many speeds is the fan? 3?

About the only thing we know now is that N is one side of the line.

I'm hoping you will find a series of increasing resistances with N used as common. That's what we need first. The resistances will be small, but all I need is relative changes for now.

I'm guessing the motor has at least 2 windings, one of which should be connected directly between phase and neutral and the other of which should be connected with the capacitor in series, i.e. phase > cap > winding > neutral.
That will provide the torque needed to start the motor spinning. Depending on the type of motor, it may even be reversible by swapping which winding has the series cap.

Thanks.
I do have all testing equipment needed for this and more.
Using the N labeled as one side of the power, it does nothing against any other wire..

With aid to start turning, spins to about 3 speeds---- Low grey / medium orange / fast red --- as one side of the mains. The other side of the mains to white.

Dismantled it trying to discern wires/windings an it's such compactly glued and tied that gave up, even with the best of my intentions.
I can guess it is a 3 speed fan., but it is a guess. Has no control switch at all.

Edited: added ----> looks like this : https://www.propertyroom.com/ItemDetails.aspx?l=7971165

Last edited:
Hi,

If all else fails, try connecting the power phase as you have before but connect the cap to the hot power phase lead and to one of the other phases. If the cap is used as a phase shifter for this particular motor then some combination like this will work, and probably a few different combos for different speeds.

If the cap is used as a capacitor start, there should be a centrifugal switch somewhere, or at least some motors do it this way.

You're going to have to be very careful though just in case anything goes wrong. Safety glasses, etc.
Stand back when you flip the power switch.

Do you have the original power switch for this fan too or not?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back