Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wiring a 240V AC motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deano66

Hi, I hope this is not a stupid idea, but I want to use a salvaged washing machine motor to drive an old wood turning lathe. The original motor is circa 1950, single phase, 240V but the bearings are beyond repair (although it still works) however the speed controller works fine. The controller has two output wires plus an earth connection to the motor. My problem is that the washing machine motor has 4 input wires going to the brushes and electro magnet windings.
:?: Not understanding AC motors, can anyone explain the theory so that I might work out how to connect it to the controller?

elec_lover said:
I think you are using a universal motor. Google on universal motor.

Quite probably so, I've never had much to do with washing machines, but here are a few 'obvious' things I know about them.

Firstly, the motors need to be reversable, using a 'universal' motor (where the coils are in series) you can't reverse it - unless you reverse the direction of just one of the coils. So whereas normally you would only have two wires, you now need four - two for the stator, and two for the rotor - by connecting them in different ways you can reverse the motor.

Speed control in any 'modern' washing machine is done by triac or SCR speed controllers.

:D Elec_lover - thanks for the web address. Wiring this motor may be a little more complicated than I thought as I hate applying trial and error logic when working with 240Volts . Will check out the site in a little while.

Nigel Goodwin - Thanks for your help. As it would have been reversible when installed in the washing machine, this may explain that there are two pairs of wires not just four separate individual connections. All I have to do now is work out which two make a pair without anything going BANG!! :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back