Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wireless TX/RX hoist control

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still working on this project and just seeking advice on an issue which doesn't seem quite right.

On the control board are 2 status LED's which light up whenever the hoist is in motion, they are off when nothing is happening. However when I connect the wires to the (NO) limit switch terminal S1, the Status LED 1 glows, not fully lit up, maybe 20% glow. It doesn't happen with the other limit switch/status LED combo. The distance between the board and the limit switch with the status LED that glows is maybe 3-4 times further than the other one. If I connect 2 wires to the terminals about 300mm long there is no glow, only when I connect the wires I need to use which are maybe 2-2.5mt long.

With a full metal screwdriver (inc handle, me being the earth?) if I touch one terminal on the board, the Status LED glows brighter, if I touch the other terminal the LED goes out.

Any ideas as to why this might be happening? Only happens on one side, (the one with the longer cable run). Not sure if it has something to do with the resistance of the cable and I need to use a smaller gauge, originally I had it hooked up with some 1.5mm2 240v stuff and the issue was there then also

Here is the board again to save scrolling up:

1_04.jpg

From your first post:
... However when I connected my makeshift test setup to the receiver it wouldn't control the relay and you had to keep the momentary button depressed for it to work. ...
Using this diagram below, could you please show (individually numbered) your initial and any subsequent wiring arrangements with corresponding controller action(s)/result(s) explanations?
1_08.jpg

"CaryMart" wiring instructions are remarkably difficult understand.

From your first post:

Using this diagram below, could you please show (individually numbered) your initial and any subsequent wiring arrangements with corresponding controller action(s)/result(s) explanations?
1_08.jpg

"CaryMart" wiring instructions are remarkably difficult understand.

Yes, the instructions are not very clear to say the least but through trial & error it is all working as expected bar the glowing status 1 LED as explained in post #21

The LED glows when wires approx 2.5mt length are connected to the S1 (limit switch) terminal, it doesnt glow if the wires are 500mm length, these wires connect to a (NO) limit switch

It looks like this dogs breakfast atm, trying to get my head around how to lay it all out and look neat, you can actually see the faint glow of the status 1 led

IMG_20180626_164534rs.jpg

What is the wire gauge you are using for the 2.5m wire to the limit switch?

18AWG for the limit switch (green wire)
Then wire resistance is not likely the problem.

Since that seems to be a sensitive point, it may be due to AC line pickup or other interference.
Perhaps connecting one of the terminals to ground (the one that caused the light to go out when you touched it with a screwdriver), through a low resistance (say 1kΩ) would help.

Still part way through this, actually I thought I might have been close but keep adding extras!

Just now wondering, a previous poster suggested a diode across the relay coil, is this really necessary? I bought the diodes and can easily fit but are they really necessary? I understand they will help reducing wear to the relay contacts but this is a relay that may only trigger maybe 4 times max a day and they are cheap as chips to replace so wondering if I really need to bother with them?
Any advice appreciated thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back