Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wireless Electronic Cylinder

Status
Not open for further replies.

geek343

I am currently working on a project where I have to write a computer program and I am also responsible to deliver an electronic device that needs to, upon the program request, to put a cylinder up or down. Since I know zero about electronics, I would like to hear from yall some ideas on how to assemble such a device.

The communication between the computer where my program is running and the device needs to be wireless and the cylinder in the device needs to move up about 5cm (2in).

Besides assembling the device itself, my main doubt is how to make the device to "understand" the commands. In my mind, it needs to "talk" tcp/ip. If this is the case, we are talking about an embedded thing, that needs to have a kind of operating system with a TCP/IP stack, is that right ?

Also, a nice to have feature (not really a requirement) would be to check the current state of the cylinder (up or down).

Any help is very welcome.
Thanks.

Does your computer have a parallel port? Serial port? USB? Can you use a general purpose Digital I/O board?

How far does the wireless connection have to work?

No parallel port. Yes, serial and USB ports.
Yes, I can use a general purpose board.
Maximum distance would be around 50 meters (150ft).

Can you write a program to Toggle DTR or RTS on the serial port?
Have you found a simple RF remote control that will send at least one bit?

Can you write a program to Toggle DTR or RTS on the serial port?
Have you found a simple RF remote control that will send at least one bit?

Yes, I can work with the serial port, but is it possible to attach a RF remote control to it ? How far does it reach ? With just one remote control, would I be able to control several devices ? I will have many (less than 100) in the same place.

Yes, I can work with the serial port, but is it possible to attach a RF remote control to it ? How far does it reach ? With just one remote control, would I be able to control several devices ? I will have many (less than 100) in the same place.

Your project description is like peeling the layer off an onion.

One transmitter? 100 Receivers or One receiver multiplexed to 100 cylinders?

Sure wish you would just lay out your requirements in the first post, or better yet, post a block diagram!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back