Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wireless control for Robotic Arm

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyonthespot

This is my first post here at Electro Tech, so Thanks to everyone to helping out our society of engineers! I am an EE major, and for our senior project we are supposed to construct and control a robotic arm wirelessly...I'm having a hard time figuring this out.

We need to control the robotic arm using someone's actual arm as input. One idea was to use Accelerometor(s) to sense movement from an arm. BUT I don't know how we would send these signals properly(wireless) to the microcontroller. I was thinking about an RF transmitter and RF receiver to do so? but is this ideal?

a 3-axis accelerometer has 3 output pins(x,y,z), each of which would need a transmitter...but too many transmitters = noisy so it won't work. Somebody suggested using a demux and timer on both receiver and transmitter, but interfacing the outputs to the correct inputs would get messy.

One idea I had, but feeling that it is not workable, was using a nintendo wiimote and a bluetooth module(on the MCU). The problem here is getting the wiimote to connect to just a module, which I can't find out if anyone has done sucessfully yet. But if this worked, I could use the already constructed 8-bit data that the wiimote outputs...

Or if I could use the nunchuck(from wii) and some how tap into it's data. I know it sends information via 6byte packets at a time on an i2c bus...

Thanks for reading,

(ps: trying to keep this to ONE microcontroller)

I'm using this board:MAVRIC-IIB: BDMICRO MAVRIC ATmega128 Mega128 Dev Board AVR Microcontroller - MAVRIC-IIB Development Board

accelerometer/orientation ideas:
SparkFun Electronics - Orientation Sensor - FC30

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back