Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wireless communication using IR

Status
Not open for further replies.

udi_hakim

Have anybody around here ever experimented and have some details about doing serial wireless communication using IR leds?
Where can i find some info about it?
should i modulate my TX signal at the transmitter and demodulate it at the receiver?
And why should i use IR led and not UV or blue or any regular led?

It should be very interesting project...

udi_hakim said:
Have anybody around here ever experimented and have some details about doing serial wireless communication using IR leds?
Where can i find some info about it?
should i modulate my TX signal at the transmitter and demodulate it at the receiver?
And why should i use IR led and not UV or blue or any regular led?

It should be very interesting project...

There's various info about it in my tutorials at http://www.winpicprog.co.uk.

The obvious reason for using IR is that it's invisible - bit boring to use a torch to change channels on your TV!. Because of the huge amount of IR components out there, cheaply available, it makes good sense to use IR rather than visible light - far cheaper, and far easier.

BTW, IR remote control commonly uses a 38KHz (or so) carrier frequency, the data is then modulated on top of that.

It'll be interesting but is it going to be practical? You would have to line up the transmitter and reciever carefully for distances greater than shouting range and use powerful IR emitters and/or very sensitive IR light amplifiers. There must be no obstacle in the IR path either, its line of sight mostly.
If you look at what range ordinary IR remote TV controls work you'll see you could just as easily talk to the other person over that distance without any gadget.

If your going to use use the transmitter for distances longer than about 10 metres i would suggest using something like a radio transmitter. An infra-red led has a limit of something like 10 metres in normal conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back