Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wire wrap technique

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Daly

I'm mostly self-taught in electronics, so I am lacking some hands-on technique training.

Previous wire wrap projects for me have been mostly a bunch of ICs on a board, but my current one has lots of fiddly bits like transistors, resistors, diodes, etc in addition.

How do you wire wrap something like a transistor or resistor? With the round leads, wire that's wrapped does not "grip", unlike with square posts on IC sockets. In the past, I've just touched the wrapped lead with a bit of solder to hold it in place. Is there a preferred way to solve this?

Also, how do you run V+ and ground to the circuit board for wrapping? I had spare square-post connector that I soldered to the board and used that as a wire wrap terminal set for power and ground. Are there wire wrap posts similar to this that I'm unaware of?

Last edited:
Ugly construction...........

Michael Daly said:
I'm mostly self-taught in electronics, so I am lacking some hands-on technique training.

Previous wire wrap projects for me have been mostly a bunch of ICs on a board, but my current one has lots of fiddly bits like transistors, resistors, diodes, etc in addition.

How do you wire wrap something like a transistor or resistor? With the round leads, wire that's wrapped does not "grip", unlike with square posts on IC sockets. In the past, I've just touched the wrapped lead with a bit of solder to hold it in place. Is there a preferred way to solve this?

Also, how do you run V+ and ground to the circuit board for wrapping? I had spare square-post connector that I soldered to the board and used that as a wire wrap terminal set for power and ground. Are there wire wrap posts similar to this that I'm unaware of?

This doesn't exactly answer your question, it is more like a suggestion.
Years ago I did a lot of wire wrapping of prototype boards for an engineering firm. So that is what is what I used for my home projects also.
But i was newer completely happy with the whole process. For my next project will use the Manhattan type of construction as seen here:
**broken link removed**
If it is a one up job there is not much incentive for making a etched PCB and it looks like this type of construction can be made quite compact if you do some pre-planning.

Edit:
For additional info:
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2007/08/manart.pdf

Last edited:
You can purchase individual pins and insert your components.

Look at the Vector Electronics and Technology site. Scroll to the bottom of the web-page and look under Terminals.

I purchase my pins/terminals from Mouser Electronics or Newark In One in the US, though you should probably check their distributors page to find the nearest (and cheapest) for you.

There may also be similar items sold under different brands for cheaper. I have honestly not checked.

TekNoir said:
Scroll to the bottom of the web-page and look under Terminals.

Aahh... that's what I want. Interestingly, I've seen the T46 double-tailed pins in an unlabelled bulk bin at the local surplus (junk) electronics shop and never knew what they were.

I'll have to look for those bi- and trifurcated versions locally for the next project

Thanks!

Another way out is to get what are called "component headers". They will insert into 14 and 16 pin sockets. Their pins are split on the top side to allow component lead placemsnt before soldering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back