Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

WIRE-WRAP PCB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sherif Welsen

Hi every body,

I wanna some one provide me with complete details on how can I make a pcb using the wire warp method?

What are the tools I need, how to install the components on the board, and what kind of boards?
Any helpful links, tutorial would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Wire-wrap was an old method for components connecting before the PCB-technology.Long times ago existiert IC-socket with 25mm long wire-wrap pins etc. For this tecnology need special tools and wires, today - i mean - also unavailable.

Wire wrap tool are very well available. I know for a fact the www.baynesvilleelectronics.com sells them. (The wrap tool and the wrap wire) I never seen it done on a PCB(printed circuit board) but i have seen it done on breadboard or protoboard. Baynesville is a local shop near me but you can mail orer from them and im sure that you can find the tools over the net. It is in fact old technology but many people still use it. For instance i use it because our systems here at work are very old and were created with wire wraping and when i wire breaks(rarely) i have to re-wrap it.

I like to use wire wrap to connect pins between development boards.

Digikey.com sells wire wrap tools and wire.

Brent

If I get the tool and the wire, is there any tutorials learn me how to do it ???

Actually is is very straight forward. You strip a little bit of insulation so that some cunductor is showing and you stick the wire through a hole in the tool and then you slip the tool over the pic you want to wrap the wire around. THEN TWIST!

Its one of those things that anyone can do. There are no tricks to it. The tool may even come with intruction on the back of the package. Just buy the tool and have at it.

What do you want to use it for anyways???

and what for the resistors, capacitors,... I mean any aomponent except IC's? how can I deal with them? so they don't have sockets like IC's.

I've seen one time a breadboard with 2,54mm raster holes and the holes other side was a wire-wrap pin.

Here is a picture

Attachments

• ic.gif
    ic.gif
    1.6 KB · Views: 577
I've seen that socket before, but I'm asking if I wannt to connect say a resistor to a distance far by say 2,5 - 3 cm how can I make it?
I'm also asking should I make a specific layout foe the wire-warp PCB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back