Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wire cutter

Status
Not open for further replies.

raitl

I'm stuck here. I need to cut pieces from spiral wire. I have the system all figured out, but I'm stuck with the cutter section. The wire itself is steel, about 1mm thick, but the spiral diameter is about 2cm. So the blades have to move minimum 2cm to get out of the way after each cut to allow the system to feed another length of wire. The cutter should be able to cut about 1 cut per second.

Have been thinking hydraulics, electromagnets, motors with excentrics etc. But still don't have a solid and working idea.

Hydraulics is usually too slow, electromagnets too weak and with motors, which seem the best solution, there is the problem with percision. e.g. stopping exactly after one turn. steppers aren't powerful enough and DC motors would need a brake of some kind...

Any ideas?

proovi servosid, need on suht täpsed selles suhtes ja neil on ka kõvasti jõudu (3/6/12kg 1cm kaugusel võllist tõstejõudu)

Try servos, those are pretty accurate and they have enought power (3/6/12 kg versions are avalible)

bloody-orc said:
proovi servosid, need on suht täpsed selles suhtes ja neil on ka kõvasti jõudu (3/6/12kg 1cm kaugusel võllist tõstejõudu)

Try servos, those are pretty accurate and they have enought power (3/6/12 kg versions are avalible)

It's funny reading estonia when you understand finnish :D

What are doing, making chainmail rings by any chance?
EDM comes to mind. Graphite probe just blasts a hole in the wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back