Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wire Connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dudeler

I'm looking at connecting thin gauge wires and would like some advice on how/easiest way of connecting 22-26 gauge wires without soldering - I've found a few but is there a standard or common connector that is commonly used?

You did not tell us if that is an once only connection or a repeatedly connect/ disconnect application.
There are hundreds of ways to connect wire, with thin gauge, for a permanent connection you could use crimp connectors. If its for a terminal block, choose one that does NOT have a screw directly clamping onto the wire - it will only guillotine the thin wire. Use a connector which has a clamping plate squeezing the wire.
If the connector's hole is too big, double over your 22 G wire for a more secure clamping or crimping.
If the above info is not what you you were looking for you need to be more specific what exactly you want to connect.
Klaus

You could try using common wire wrapping posts, but i doubt it would be much good for repeateable connections.

This is for a one time single connection, not intended for multiple disconnects.
Looking for the easiest/cheapest method that is reliable - I found a Insulated Terminal Kit in an Allied catalog but they are for 12-22ga only. I'm looking for something in the 22-26ga range - Crimping sounds like the way to go. Will the crimp style connectors work for both solid and stranded wire? (I will be using stranded)
From a cost and reliability standpoint, is the crimping style better than the wire connectors?

Thanks again-

Crimping connectors work fine with multistrand wire. It is important to use a proper crimping tool. Proper crimping is virtually cold welding the joint. Much more reliable than screw type connections.
Ordinary pliers will not make a reliable crimp. The most reliable crimp comes from the ratchet tools but these tools are pricey. You can do satisfactory crimps with these multi crimp tools - one tool fits several (usually 3) crimp terminal sizes. It won't be NASA spec though :wink:
Single strand wire is quite fragile in the smaller gauges and I would not recommend it for screw or crimp connections where there is the slightest chance of movement or vibration. Single strand is used successfully with the wire wrap method. Wire wrapping is very reliable but not always practical for every application. A special tool is also required.
You have to do your own research regarding cost efficiency, your location and quantity play a factor in that.
Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back