Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wire a DPDT Latching Relay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rudeez

Hi!

I need help with wiring of a DPDT _latching_ relay.
What i need is to have it on/off for a LED using a _momentary_ push button.
Down below is both the relay and pinout of it.
If somebody could explain for me or even better do a simple drawing in paint of how i need to wire this in order to get it to work i would be more then thankful!

**broken link removed**

Kind Regards
Jimmie

Last edited:
You want the relay to drive the LED? Latching the relay is pretty easy using two push buttons. One normally open and one normally closed. If you just want a single button then a flip flop chip would figure into things. If the LED is just an everyday low current (10 - 15 mA LED) then it can be done using just a flip flop.

<EDIT> The Takamisawa AL5WNK is a latching relay with a 5 Volt coil and two change-over contacts (DPDT, Double Pole Double Throw).

As a latching relay, the relay will "memorize" its state even after power is removed. Reversing polarity puts the relay in the opposite state.

That is the relay you have so what exactly are you trying to do? </EDIT>
Ron

Last edited:
i have built this "stompbox" for use with a guitar and have DPDT momentary footswitches. the "controller" is an old gamepad for PC's.
the gamepad need a momentary signal to send the midinote, i used latching dpdt footswitches from the start but realized that having them coused me to do 1 click for sending the signal, another to turn it of, one more to get it to it's original state and even another at the end, the gamepad uses momentary buttons as deafult so. witch a latching button i had LED's wired with no problem working as indication.

so basiccly what im trying to do is to have a LED indication for on/off using a momentary footswitch.
I thought this could be made using latching relays, i bought some regular relays before them but that didnt cut it, no suprise.

Below is a link to a projectthread so you get an idea of how it looks for now.
note thogh that i got momentary switches now and this thread is from the first build of it.

https://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32534

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
bumping this up again...
it should be said that my knowledge in more "advanced" electronics like inverters and solid state approch youre talking of is a little over my head.
i don't know how to read a diagram really.
all i need is the simplest solution possible to do what i need. that is having a led that is controlled by a momentary switch, but the led must be in on/off mode.

i understand now that the relays which is latching i bought must be reversed polarity to trigger again.
is there some easy way to achive this? would it be possible by having like another relay in front of it to make it work?

I think you need to do the solid state approach. Hopefully your switch is double pole. One for your gizmo and one for the LED.

This part: LTC2950 will probably make things really easy. A surface mount breadboard is available from Minuteman Electronics. We may be able to go thru hole with an adapter.

I need to look at the datasheet more closely to figure out if an inverter and/or driver is needed

In addition, you'll need standoffs, and two connectors: one for power and one for the LED's and one for the switches. You can probably make due with a ribbon cable.

It's really not that difficult. Learning to make a the artwork for a commercial PC board might be very difficult.

Go for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back