Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Windows vista to windows 7 upgrade solve vista problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abigail

I am purchasing the vista home premium or ultimate this week, i am getting the oem version from newegg with the win 7 coupon. My question is will it solve vista memory usage issues, the windows 7 rc that i have is fast and runs efficiently, however in ancient times when i used the upgrade option from 98se to xp, it was kinda crappy had 98se problems and xp problems. I put the service packs on my cousins computer , and vista is still a bit of a resource hog, anyone in the know?

Did you mean you're going to buy Windows 7 Ultimate? You said you're going to buy Vista home premium or ultimate this week... which isn't going to solve any Vista issues as it IS Vista =)

I'm sure there will be some driver/compatibility issues with windows 7 vs Vista but not as bad as 98 to XP or XP to Vista. Windows 7 is basically the same OS but MAJORLY retooled to get rid of all the floatsam and garbage that was in Vista. Also if you're having memory issues... Buy more memory =P It's dirt cheap. A simple upgrade to Windows 7 should help system performance in general though. Personally I'm gonna stick with Vista for a while long as I have no issues with it, my machien has enough extra horsepower and memory that I don't really run into any problems.

Seems like every new version of Windows, requires more resources, basically major upgrades, or new computer. Doubt Windows 7 will be any different. Never cared much for the Windows concept, couldn't see the point of having a bunch of crap loaded in memory and on the HD, that I'll probably never need or use. Would still be using DOS, if the software I use still came out in a DOS version.

You haven't read much about Windows 7 then Harvey, the primary reason for it's release is all the people that had problems with Vista. It's much more modular and light weight not nearly as bloated as Vista is.

You haven't read much about Windows 7 then Harvey, the primary reason for it's release is all the people that had problems with Vista. It's much more modular and light weight not nearly as bloated as Vista is.

Sounds like XP.:rolleyes:

Mike.

No haven't read much about Vista either, XP, or, well, just never a Windows fan, just stuck with it. Will keep Visa until it's time for a new computer, and probably get stuck with whatever version of Windows that comes pre-installed.

What are the minimum hardware requirements for Windows 7? Guessing you still need 2 gig of RAM, just to get started...

You'd be dead wrong Harvey. Windows 7 has lower requirements than Vista, as I said you've obviously not read much about it =)
The official system requirements are a 1ghz processor, 1 gig of ram, 16gig of HD space and a DX 9 capable video card.

It's more like XP than Vista but still uses the same basic kernel as Vista. Which means it SHOULD be good for everyone, again I'm holding my tongue for at least a few more months here, but overall opinion is that it really is a step forward. Which means Windows 7 is what Vista should have been when it was released. Vista has such a bad name now that they needed to call the new OS Windows 7 just to avoid it, it's largely unwarranted.

Personally I'll keep using Vista for now, it works. When applications start bogging down on this machine I'll get more memory, when they start bogging down on this machine with more memory I'll upgrade to Windows 7, or if the Linux folks ever get their act together switch to that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back