Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Windows 10 Fear and Loathing

Status
Not open for further replies.
TaDa!!!! You will be pleased to know spec that my laptop now has Windows 10!!! I'm quite impressed.. Some display issues, but I haven't found any apps that wont work!! The only issue was with Ztree for windows.... I changed the font ( properties/compatibility) as the font windows chose was awfull!!

Lets see how long this lasts...

Good news.:cool: You will probably find a few odd things cropping up here and there for the first couple of weeks as your system settles down and Windows update gets into sync. Most problems can be sorted by simply rebooting. I have been using Win 10 now for six months and am still greatly impressed. It is fast, fuss-free and solid- just like my previous favorite Win7.

spec

Last edited:
The abundance of background activities will grow over time after each boot including hundreds of scheduled tasks and Windows Telemetry (ET phone home)

TiWorker.exe will refresh all those Start window apps.

Consider this. Each succeeding release of Windows is largely built on its predecessors. Because of market share, legacy functions, warts and all, are carried forward. This means bugs on top of bugs on top of bugs...

Windows 7 proved to be the best user interface thus far. Pointedly so as demonstrated by the overwhelming popularity of Windows 8. [/sarcasm] Windows 10 smartly kept most of those features.

But Windows 10 refactored the base system, building a fresh reliable foundation (IMHO, based on experience)

So in my case do I accept the privacy intrusion for an improved OS that is likely to be supported for much longer and have many more resources devoted to it? Or do I hang onto a dying platform that will increasingly exacerbate the number of migraines I experience?

In my case, I see that data collection is occurring in all platforms I use. Hence railing against Windows 10 tracking is a fools mission. A co-worker is considering a divorce. His IOS device now pops up ads for divorce lawyers whenever he uses Safari. I work for an MSP, and often research my competitors. Now, when my boss stops by, there is often one of competitors ads on my screen.

So tracking is no worse than the current state of all software, my system runs much more reliably and I find the UI to be so much easier that working on Windows 7 is annoying.

As you can see, my decision has been made.

People do seem to like it. Mrs Throbscottle has put w10 on her laptop again (after installing it, then going back to 7 because of issues) she says the issues have been resolved now and she's very happy with it. I'm sticking with Arch.
Had to set up an iPad for another store yesterday. I think I hate them as much as win8.
With regards to dying plaltforms, some retailers I service are still using NT4 on their tills and some servers. At least one is using DOS6.2!
Most are in the process of upgrading to, or planning to upgrade to, win7.
So those "dying platforms" have a lot of life in them yet ;)

Last edited:
It is very dangerous using obsolete software that is no longer supported because it is wide open to attacks. Most of Win updates are concerned with security.
One of the reasons why Microsoft insists on updating Win10 is that they do not want a load of infected systems hosting malware, as has happened previously.

As I have said before, one of the easy ins for hackers is to wait until Microsoft issue a security update, which reveals a crack. Then the hackers have all they need to get into the systems of those who do not update immediately, which is very common.

By the way, I understand that Adobe Reader is quite dangerous because it is so widely used and thus an optimum target for hackers.

spec

With regards to dying plaltforms, some retailers I service are still using NT4 on their tills and some servers. At least one is using DOS6.2!
Most are in the process of upgrading to, or planning to upgrade to, win7.
So those "dying platforms" have a lot of life in them yet ;)

Unfortunately, there is instrumentation that was built with certain platforms. e.g. an Auger SIMS machine. Upgrading from NT4 just isn't gonna happen because the OEM HAS to do it, but yet you need some sort of network access. I think it may have been NT3.

I was in the process of "selecting" some sort of between it and the internet some sort of Firewall, but never really got to do it.

At the time I left, the infrastructure team may have been able to put rules in the Network switches, but I doubt anyone thought of that.

Unfortunately, there is instrumentation that was built with certain platforms. e.g. an Auger SIMS machine. Upgrading from NT4 just isn't gonna happen because the OEM HAS to do it, but yet you need some sort of network access. I think it may have been NT3.

I was in the process of "selecting" some sort of between it and the internet some sort of Firewall, but never really got to do it.

At the time I left, the infrastructure team may have been able to put rules in the Network switches, but I doubt anyone thought of that.

Yes, you are quite right Keep. There are many legacy systems running well and doing a good job and are safe because they are not connected to the outside world (internet).

spec

Interesting. But these are mainly tills using old hardware that is being phased out (it has to be as the parts become unavailable), some back office pc's and occasional server. When I was working on office pc's they were in a similar situation, but nothing much older than xp (though I did encounter a vital (I don't think it was mission-critical) ms access database running on w2k!). Some systems are locked into legacy systems because of sheer scale, or because the new systems don't play nicely with the old ones. I know one major retailer has it's entire customer database running on dos, they would like to change it but it's simply too big to migrate!

Last edited:
So, when people put an ISA bus inside of an instrument and develop custom cards to interface to the instrument. you just can't upgrade.

The powers that be ignored my warning to make process connections not inside the backplane of the computer. The Mac II had about 7 slots. Subsequent models had maybe 3. NuBus slots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back