Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Windows 10 Fear and Loathing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was under the impression that OS/2 was MS's intended successor to MS DOS, but their interim offering became so widely used that they dropped OS/2 in it's favour. I had no idea IBM was involved, but it may explain why some banks were using OS/2 in offices and on ATM's at least until XP became current.

Oooh ok, good reading for when I'm less tired and more sober then!

I've seen blue screens on ATM, in-flight movies and know how to get rid of the WinX update nag for good. ( but I did it the hard way by deleting files in windows folder, keys in registry and Scheduled Tasks, where they come back) also beware of System Restore use. )

All OS's can crash apps or OS's with insufficient memory including OS2, Android, Linux, and Windows.

Learning how to make each lean has been a hobby, that I can improve on any system to make it faster than new.

However, Blue screens are only incomplete driver IO's of which there are hundreds, for software ports and hardware.

Win 8 started to use more drivers which could be exited gracefully, but these also add latency.

In my mind Win7 is the best version for users who have good Apps and Win10 is if you have no apps and just want to use it like a smart phone. MS wants you to use the MS $tore experience for addons or new Apps. since it is so successful in iOS, OSX Android. They want users to get freee Apps then buy if they need upgrades.

I use Win8 x64 since I like WMC for playing OTA tv signals with a great PVR but can use KODI Open Office , Gmail or any browser on anything with sufficient RAM. WMC puts all our TV series new episodes or news on OTA local or Buffalo HD channels into my drop menu in my taskbar, so I can select the latest news recorded and launch in 1 click at any time. e.g. BBC, PBS, Global etc., But on KODI I can watch UK live TV or any international country in any language live free on any OS except Apple's if not jail broken (rooted)

Last edited:
Windows-10-Flom-compressor.gif

PWNED!

Remove KB3035583 from the update list

Tony, what's the trick?

You have to delete the Windows Update that first brought in the "nagger". Go to Windows Update, navigate to "Installed Updates", and do a search for KB3035583. Uninstall that update and restart your computer. Then go back into Windows Update, search for KB3035583 in "available updates", and tell Windows Update to ignore it. If you don't tell it to ignore it in the future, it'll just be reinstalled the next time your system updates.

EDIT: I'm saying this off the top of my head, so some of the titles may not be accurate. I trust you'll still be able to find your way around though.

Thank you, Matt. I'll give a shot tomorrow.

Although, I feel like WinX is inevitable.

Really annoys me. At this stage in the age game, I like Win7 (2 machines are 7, one Vista and one running XT) and do not foresee any need to update any of them.

Although, I feel like WinX is inevitable.

Really annoys me. At this stage in the age game, I like Win7 (2 machines are 7, one Vista and one running XT) and do not foresee any need to update any of them.

Not to derail the thread at all but wondering what should I expect, buying a new PC (desktop or laptop) within the next two months...

I will be jumping into Win X directly, isn't it? The worst is all that soft that could actually not work with it. A nice jump into the nada...

/EDIT
My 3 current PCs are still Win XP
EDIT/

You could install the version of Windows of your preference in place of Win X. If you don't have a copy you can download it from the Microsoft website, use the key from one of the old machines. You can even buy a "bare bones" pc with no o/s installed, or build your own (sadly no longer the cheap option).

Hi folks,

I just got off the phone with my mother, her Windows 8 laptop tried upgrading automatically (without permission) to Windows 10, and she really didn't want it (she doesn't deal with change very well). This is the fourth or fifth case of unauthorized automatic Windows 10 updates that I have heard about from friends and family (and myself). I do not like how Microsoft is sneaking in the update without giving you the choice to opt out, and it suggests to me some further trickery down the road (I could just see Microsoft forcing this update on unsuspecting Win7 or Win8 users, marketing it as "free", and then turning it into a paid service later on). For those of you who are absolutely unwilling to install Windows 10, I have found a tool called "Never10" that seems to fix the problem (hounding popup boxes, attempted automatic upgrades, etc. all disappear). I used it myself and sent it to my mother, who also ran it, and it seems to work beautifully. Here's the link:

https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

It's actually very easy to use. Once downloaded, simply run the .exe and click the "Disable Win10 Update" button at the bottom. When completed, click the "Remove Win10 Files" button off on the right. Make sure all files are deleted. If it says that some files are in use, restart your computer and run the .exe again and click the "Remove Win10 Files" button again. This should delete all of the Windows 10 support files from your system, hopefully preventing it from automatically trying to upgrade in the future.

Regards,
Matt

My laptop updated to Win 10 automatically, without permission, a week ago. I don't mind Win 10 but I was locked out of my machine for 3 hours and needed files off of it. For that reason, on Sunday, I updated my desktop PC. With the 3Gig download and the install it took a total time of 6 hours! I'm on fiber and can normally download a 3G file in about 10 minutes - Win 10 took nearly 3 hours just to download. Just so people know what to expect.

Mike.

"Never10" that seems to fix the problem (hounding popup boxes, attempted automatic upgrades, etc. all disappear)

I have been using GWX Control Panel since MS started taking tips from The Borg ( "resistance is futile " ) and it has worked very well.
Never 10 does a similar job but in a more streamlined way , by going to the nitty-gritty , and changing a few vital registry keys
.... the same sort of trick that MS were using , only they were hiding them inside "Important " Updates.
Nice to see that they are getting beaten at their own game .

Update - from a recent BBC article .... this the lowest yet .... unbelievable !
"Microsoft accused of Windows 10 upgrade 'nasty trick' "

Re - software names from the past .... what imaginative genius !
Who would have thought of calling an operating system OS2 , or a programming language PL/1 :)

Makes one wonder how long it took to come up with them !

Last edited:
If M$ gets tricky, becomes too invasive, or charges for updates, it risks banging nails into its own coffin. Punters will only put up with so much before there's a mass exodus to alternative OS's.

If M$ gets tricky, becomes too invasive, or charges for updates, it risks banging nails into its own coffin. Punters will only put up with so much before there's a mass exodus to alternative OS's.

Yes alec_t, you are bang-on right .
But they don't seem to care in the slightest about that !

They looked over the garden fence and saw how lush and green the grass was , for Google and for Facebook .
Profits from global data-mining is massive compared to what MS have been making , and they want some of it , badly
.... and W10 is their strategy for getting it .

Their ethics are highly questionable - in that they don't appear to have any !

Anyone who doesn't have an unlimited broadband package , and has had W10 installed without their express permission
is actually a victim of theft by MS , and there are now class-action lawsuits against them in several European jurisdictions ,
..... not that they care in the slightest ..... they have a whole zoo full of " Lawyers " on the payroll !!!

And to add insult to injury , default settings in W10 turn your machine into a clandestine , unpaid , local server
for their update and telemetry systems.
.... I wonder how many people spotted that in the 48 page EULA , before they clicked " Accept " ?

I wonder how many people spotted that in the 48 page EULA , before they clicked " Accept " ?

I guess nobody like me (and the last few posters) who woke up one morning to find their computer(s) had been forcefully updated.

I run a lot of cantankerous legacy software that isn't compatible with newer OSs or even newer service packs of older OSs. I turn windows updates off when I get a new computer. I take it as an affront that this was forced on me. I am very fortunate that none of my affected machines were the machines running the legacy software. Safe, for now. From now on I will never feel safe leaving those older PCs connected to the Internet over night.

From now on I will never feel safe leaving those older PCs connected to the Internet over night.
Updates aren't necessarily overnight. Anything that didn't get downloaded at the time of M$'s choosing will likely clobber you as soon as you switch on and go on line :D.

TaDa!!!! You will be pleased to know spec that my laptop now has Windows 10!!! I'm quite impressed.. Some display issues, but I haven't found any apps that wont work!! The only issue was with Ztree for windows.... I changed the font ( properties/compatibility) as the font windows chose was awfull!!

Lets see how long this lasts...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back