Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Win10 browsers

Status
Not open for further replies.

spec

Most Helpful Member
Hi,

Has anyone had trouble with Google Chrome not starting in Windows 10?

Also, has anyone used Microsoft's new Edge browser, yet?

spec

I use both Chrome and Firefox in Win10 with no prob.
My biggest beef in Win10 is the learning curve to navigate files and directories, I use mainly XP prof. And find it far easier than 10, I know It is probably a question of familiarity but I find it very irksome, and not at all obvious..
Max.

I found with one version that "file explorer", when opened, stays top dog so you have to minimise to see anything else.. That is on windows 10 pro, The home version I'm typing on now, has no such issues... I'm sure its just a setting, but finding it!!! Well that's another story!

Our faithful printer!! Been in the family for years.... Windows xp and 7... Windows 10 said NO!! Lexmark said that windows have re-written spooling from the ground up!!!

I use both Chrome and Firefox in Win10 with no prob.
My biggest beef in Win10 is the learning curve to navigate files and directories, I use mainly XP prof. And find it far easier than 10, I know It is probably a question of familiarity but I find it very irksome, and not at all obvious..
Max.
I found with one version that "file explorer", when opened, stays top dog so you have to minimise to see anything else.. That is on windows 10 pro, The home version I'm typing on now, has no such issues... I'm sure its just a setting, but finding it!!! Well that's another story!

Our faithful printer!! Been in the family for years.... Windows xp and 7... Windows 10 said NO!! Lexmark said that windows have re-written spooling from the ground up!!!

Hy both,

Navigating to directories etc in Win10 is exactly the same as good old faithful XP and Win7. I think there is an option to set this. I use Win 10 File Explorer which operates exactly the same as XP and Win7 Windows Explorer.

In fact, I was extremely relived to find that Win10 is so similar to XP and Win7.

spec

2016_08_12_!ss1_ETO_WIN10_FILE_EXPLORER.png

Last edited:
No and NO WAY... I installed firefox as soon as windows installed..
Yes, I use Firefox as my main Browser- much better User Interface (UI), especially the way Firefox handles bookmarks (favorites). But Firefox is not always the fastest and sometimes cannot access some sites. I currently have three browsers: Firefox, Chrome, and Edge and when Firefox can't access a site or download a file, I try Chrome or Edge (never tried Safari).

Today, Firefox was very slow at downloading a pdf data sheet and it seemed to hang for a while, but Edge downloaded the same pdf in three seconds. I took Edge for a quick spin, after setting it up, and Edge seems pretty slick. Unfortunately, at the moment, you can only import bookmarks/favorites from Chrome and Internet Explorer, so if you want to import from Firefox you have to first import your bookmarks/favorites to Internet Explorer and then import from Internet Explorer to Edge.

spec

Last edited:
I don't find it exactly that easy?
The other stupid thing is if I want to store a file I get the message that I need permission, and only allow it to be stored in a HPLaptop directory??.
I haven't bothered to find out the reason yet, most of the time I use a XP PC.
Plus if I click on a PDF file for e.g. it does not open with Adobe reader automatically.
Max.

I don't find it exactly that easy?
The other stupid thing is if I want to store a file I get the message that I need permission, and only allow it to be stored in a HPLaptop directory??.
I haven't bothered to find out the reason yet, most of the time I use a XP PC.
Plus if I click on a PDF file for e.g. it does not open with Adobe reader automatically.
Max.

Yeah, all that is annoying, but it can all be set up. The first thing is to give yourself admin rights in account control. Setting up the permissions for file control is convoluted and can be a pain but once done you are set. But it is similar for XP and Win7.

You need to set up your file associations to have any Widows version open a file automatically with your preferred application: pdf: Adobe Reader, jpg, png, gif: Adobe Photoshop and so on.

Just right click on a file of the type you want to associate with an application and specify the 'open with' and make that the default. From then on all files of the specified type will open with the specified program.

spec

Last edited:

What exact model Lexmark printer, Ian. Microsoft may have a suitable generic driver or you may be able to use a Win8 driver. Alternatively Lexmark may have a suitable driver or someone on the net may have written a suitable driver.

spec

When I replaced my Old HP I got some good advice from a local Printer repair/cartridge refill guy, he put me on to the Epson with the six colour cartridges instead of two for cheaper replacement, it is Way cheaper than the two cartridge system that HP were gouging for cartridges at the same price as a new printer.
I have had it for 3 years now and am really pleased.
Max.

After about the 20th uninstall and reinstall Google Chrome again refuses to start (after about 6 hours).

Looks like I will have to make a determined effort to find out what is going on.:wideyed:

spec

AH!!! I think I may have found it!!! Dell incorporates an "always on top" feature... I just need to know how to activate / deactivate it.... Tinterweb said that ctrl/space would do it but alas not!!

AH!!! I think I may have found it!!! Dell incorporates an "always on top" feature... I just need to know how to activate / deactivate it.... Tinterweb said that ctrl/space would do it but alas not!!
Yeah, that is the problem. Often the PC manufacturers put all sorts of bloatware on a PC and Windows gets the blame.

I think if you go to 'Start Up' menu you may be able to delete/disable a load of junk.

spec

Yeah, that is the problem. Often the PC manufacturers put all sorts of bloatware on a PC and Windows gets the blame.

spec
It takes time to understand that. BTW, it is the first time I see it in writing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back