Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Will this solenoid work as motor controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like it. A relay would work too though this solenoid looks like it can handle a lot more current than most relays. Note that it takes 3A just to keep the darn thing on which may drain your battery faster than you want...

ANd to move backward and forward, the circuit would need at least 4 solenoids per motor with two being on per motor at any one time- that's a lot of current just to keep the switches on. That would be 12A just to get the current running to the motor- are you able to tolerate that much energy loss?

Last edited:
I'm no motor expert, but aren't wheelchair motors high torque stepper motors? If so, that solenoid won't do the job and more sofisticated control circuitry is required.
See if you can put some information up about the motors that you have.

Yea, they do pull alot, not sure what batts I will use.
The motors I have are not steppers, they are just high amp DC motors.
I also considering making my own contacts like some thick steel mounted on servo horns that make contact.

Hmmmm... how about automotive relays? 60A or so... or is that not enough for the motors?

**broken link removed**

Yea, I thought about those but I dont think they could handle the stall current if the rover got stuck or something. It could go as high as 100 amps with these motors, Although it might be worth it to try. :eek:

These solonoids will work, but to fwd and rev, you need 4 per motor. If you use one with normally open and normally closed contacts (I've seen them in the offroad WARN winches), you only have to use 2 per motor
I can draw a schematic if you need.

These solenoids are only rated for intermittent operation (will overheat if energized more than 50% of the time.) That's a lot of down time for your rover....

Plus that solenoid has a very low coil resistance and will draw (waste) a lot of power that would otherwise be avalible to the main motors. There are much better ways to switch high current low voltage loads these days.

Lefty

Hmmmm. Can anyone recommend a inexpensive relay that is capable of handling high amps for these motors?
I cant afford the high end controllers like vantec.

Thanks

In Europe some trucks have a 3rd axle that is lifted by a starter-like motor. They use a double contact heavy duty relay 200A

Attachments

• Inverssor.JPG
    Inverssor.JPG
    7.8 KB · Views: 299
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back