Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

will it charge the battery? will this work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

peekeith

sorry guys if im on the wrong forum. please kindly re-direct me if there's one. thanks.

hi!

please take a minute to analyze the diagram i made (see attachment)
so here's my question: will it charge the battery or something will go loud? hehehe. the reason why i am doing this, is because i got a faulty charger ic. replacing it will cost me alot.

so here's the story, it is my son's tablet. and you, as a kid, they don't usually plugged the usb cables to the port properly. and that's where the problem starts. due to frequent forced plugging in, the pins got busted. now it wont charge. tried different cables and chargers but didn't work. so i have to go to a service center, to replace the usb port. and yes, it was replaced but its not charging, then he found out that the everytime he plugged the charger cable, it turns off or shuts down suddenly. and that's where we found out that the charger ic was faulty. and that was it. so either i pay for a high cost or i'll leave and dump the tablet and buy i new one.

then this idea (the diagram that i am showing you in the attachment) came out. but im no good when it comes to rewiring stuffs. and here you will come to the picture. will it work? will it charge the battery? or this is a silly idea? i need your guidance here guys. thanks in advance! cheers!

Untitled-1.jpg
P_20171016_190155.jpg

Welcome to ETO!
The wall-wart is no more than a 5V supply, so if the charge-control IC in the tablet is damaged, just rewiring things won't cure the problem :(. Bypassing the IC and applying 5V directly to the battery would be DANGEROUS and would probably cause the battery to catch fire or explode!!

whoa! i was just about to take the risk. thanks for the reply mate. i thought that, in this way i could charge the li-ion battery pack externally. i thought it has the same concept as removing a battery from a phone and charge it on a external charger. been looking for the web on how to's but can't find one. now it makes sense why i can't. :) thanks again! it was a big help. cheers!

i thought it has the same concept as removing a battery from a phone and charge it on a external charger.
If you have an external charger specifically intended for lithium batteries, that would be safe. Lithiums need special care.

Lithiums need special care.
↑↑↑ you don't wan to ignore this even by a little ↑↑↑
e.g. the lithium charging is a fine art / precision engineering -- the alternate is to use very low charging current (as not to exceed critical temperatures at any case) -- and lot of patience to wait the low current charging cycle to complete -- for 1000mAh battery some C/25 or less is 40mA charging current ~ 1000*60%=600mAh at 60 per cent discharge takes 600/40mA 15h - - - or until battery terminal voltage reaches manufactures (("don't exceed" - (minus) some)) voltage

+ some 10ya(years ago) there was a laptop power module that didn't start charging until you tear open the sealed box and un-plugged re-plugged the control circuitry connector there (it was quite frustrating - but not as time cosuming as frustrating - took less than 20 s) ??? - - -
- - - i guess nowadays they're integrated more compactly - you don't have anything to un-plug without damaging or destroying the module

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back