Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wich PIC to choose!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lac

I'm a complete newbie at this area, so just wanted to get a pin-point for what PIC's are "go-go" and wich ones are "no-no". Most popular etc. Going to use it for LCD displays, Keypads, Leds etc.

Thanks in advance!
Lac.

16f84 is always good for beginners... just about the right size, it's not too small to lose :)

16f877 is a little bigger, it has more pins and some more advanced features.

12C509 is too small for me, personally, it's only got a couple of pins.... i did use one in my rf lan project, though....

Those are just my own thoughts, though :)

For a start (and maybe all the time?) you should look at the EEPROM/FLASH PIC's. The 16F84 suggested was a good choice a while back, but it's basically obselete now - you are better off using the 16F628, it's pin compatible with the 84, but costs less and has far more features.

The 16F628 was the chip I choose for my PIC tutorial series, although I cover some other ones as well.

As also suggested, the 16F877 is a good 'higher end' choice, but is a bit on the large size - the 16F876 is basically the same chip in a smaller case, with a few pins less (the 876 usually costs more than the 877, but it's often worth it for the size saving).

For the smaller PIC's, the 8 pin 12F675 is nice, it's FLASH programmable, and even includes 10 bit A2D inputs - it also used the same 14 bit core as the other chips above.

my line up:

8 PDIP: 12F6 75/29
18 PDIP:16F628 or '819
28 PDIP: 16F876
40 PDIP: 16F877

so far I've used only the '628 but I've been told these other ones are also popular.

hmm.. looks like the 628 is my choice, but what is the difference between:

PIC16F628-04/P

and

PIC16F628-04/SO

Thanks!

Lac said:
hmm.. looks like the 628 is my choice, but what is the difference between:

PIC16F628-04/P

and

PIC16F628-04/SO

Thanks!

'P' is a normal DIL version, 'SO' is surface mount - you want the 'P' version (or at least I do!).

I've used the 16F87X series
hm... well, i think 16F877 is sufficient for student project
since we are not into commercial mass production, choosing minimum pin,memory PIC etc is not really a concern

StupidDum said:
I've used the 16F87X series
hm... well, i think 16F877 is sufficient for student project
since we are not into commercial mass production, choosing minimum pin,memory PIC etc is not really a concern

memory is important (if you mean memory type) - flash means you can program it more than once :)... otherwise you'll soon have a pile of dud chips :(

I'm using 18F452 now, it's pretty cool chip.... i like it because you can use the C compiler with it (C-I8)...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back