Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wich PIC Programmer is best???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am absolutely astounded that you would buy a PICkit-2 programmer that comes with 2 CD’s filled with programming material and not think the software is worth hundreds of dollars, if not thousands of dollars.

Anyone with any sense, everything on it is a free download from MicroChip.

It's very useful, in fact EXTREMELY useful, but is provided FOC by MicroChip.

Bill obviously can't provide it on CD, as I'm sure MicroChip would take a poor view of that, but anyone can just download it for nothing.

Last edited:
revmonster I would get the junebug It's really good deal. You can test code on it or
program a chip off board.

I don't think it really matters which you buy - Junebug or PicKit 2 - because in terms of functionality you're on to a winner with either of them. So the choice just comes down to your personal preference. If you insist on building your own, then the decision is made for you - Junebug.

The advice most of us are trying to offer is, don't waste your time with those old DIY designs. They're outdated, they support very few chips, and they lack the feaures you need. Get yourself something decent - Junebug or PicKit 2, you decide.

Brian

The PK2 is a great programmer. It has a programmable VDD generator and internal EEPROM (the Junebug does not have those)

I designed Junebug as two in one project. An 18F Tutor with a PK2
it's a kit, I like building kits and sure miss Heathkit
it's all hole through and the ICs are socketed (repairable)
I've reflashed a Junebug with the Serial Analyzer firmware nice.

Both are MPLAB compatible and support the really handy PICkit2 2.61 tool.

Either is an excellent choice

I hadn't heard many good things about the PK3 yet, but this sounds a bit ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back