Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why Wire Bonding uses Au(gold)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mailrapid

As we know, when it comes to wire bonding, we can image that it is "Au" bonding.

Byt why not uses Ag or Cu bonding instead of Au?

Probably because gold does not react with other elements, so it does not corrode or deteriorate.

Same reason for using gold plated pins in connectors.

JimB

Are you talking about wire bonding in the silicon-to-package sense?

If so, they also use aluminum as well as gold.

its the resistance equation

Yer gold is used, easy to work with. So is aluminium, easy to work with. You should see the machines in action as they fly along knitting the bondwires down

I only have experience doing manual wire bonding. It is extremely tedious and difficult. I only have about 12hrs experience on the machine though.

Interestingly enough, the bobbins we had (both alu and gold) had expiration dates. Since neither oxidizes indefinitely like copper or iron, I always thought it odd they had 'throw-away' dates on them. But extruding it right at the unit fixes that I guess. Any reason why they have to do it that way?

I'm surprised that you would throw the gold away; surely it's worth recycling.

Why Au , why Cu or Al not use.

Roff said:
OK, that's too cryptic for a simpleton like me. Why did you post that equation in this thread?

For example ;

Edit:Fig. in :mu: m

Attachments

• Why Wire Bonding uses Au(gold) sorusuna NECten alıntı yaparak cevabım.png
    Why Wire Bonding uses Au(gold) sorusuna NECten alıntı yaparak cevabım.png
    28.9 KB · Views: 352
Last edited:
Also ;
If , this IC's make Cu or Al use ,
Wires is to have more section required.
This is IC's impossible Nano Technology or Micro Technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back